Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Minera access

Minera access 1 year 2 weeks ago #29594

• timwatts
  • Thank you received: 334
Tarmac handing over the quarry. I wonder what this could/should/will mean with regards to more open and fair bca wide open access?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-w...er&ns_linkname=wales
-
Tim Watts
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Minera access 1 year 1 week ago #29595

• Ant89
  • Thank you received: 185
Could always ask.

Minera access 10 months 2 weeks ago #29962

• Meaty
  • Thank you received: 7
Unfortunately I think access will be stopped altogether. They said in the meeting that minera now has the largest roosting bat colony in Britain.
What a joke..

Minera access 10 months 1 week ago #30095

• solomonkey
  • Thank you received: 1
I've been hoping to get a trip down the shortest day (one day)
Done all the others , I'll be really miffed if some suits wanna spoil the fun for everyone else :pinch:

Minera access 10 months 1 week ago #30096

• solomonkey
  • Thank you received: 1
,,, what a joke ,,,, no laughing matter ! Really gets my back up these people who think they own planet earth
, tell us all what to do because they want to make millions/ have already made there millions out of OUR planet
Then have the cheek to say we can't even have the left overs !
I wish them the worst of luck for the rest of there cretinous existence !
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sweetie

Minera access 10 months 1 week ago #30098

• DaveT
I wouldn't assume access will be lost completely, there are several reasons for this:

(a) The part of the land up for grabs doesn't cover areas like Cabin Shaft - so access to Minera Lead Mine and even grand Turk passage would be maintained (Grand Turk might involve the old route if they blocked off the NWCC access hatch).

(b) A lot of the bats roost in the Hoffman kiln, which is why the entrances to it are barred. While there are some bats in the upper parts of Ragman vein I have only seen a few in the lower passage accessed from the small quarry.

(c) There is a history of unofficial access and the trust is committed to improving access, not restricting it. It is in their best interest to work with mine-explorers and cavers (and rock climbers) to provide reasonable access while protecting the wildlife. They need monetary contributions to make the project work and I cannot see them working against people who might help.

I have made contact with them in my role as current CCC secretary and the sale is still in the process of negotiation. Once the sale goes through I expect they will convene a meeting with local caving groups, CCC and other interested parties to try and hammer out some sort of agreement. CCC may (if the rest of the council agrees) be prepared to fund some gates to keep the general public safe, but these would have to have a Derbyshire key arrangement similar to the one recently fitted in the Alyn Gorge.

Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Doug

Minera access 10 months 1 week ago #30099

• Ian
  • Thank you received: 502
DaveT wrote:
but these would have to have a Derbyshire key arrangement similar to the one recently fitted in the Alyn Gorge.

Dave

Not to point out the rather obvious but ...

Although they gave us a Derbyshire key they welded the fucker causing an engineering exercise beyond the comprehension of anyone less than 25 university degrees no chance at all. Additionally, they stuck a lock and chain around it "Just in case" a bat might appear.

This monumental stupidity and grandiose posturing directly contribution to my resignation. Especially relevant was the self inflated ego and authority that the twats around the table imbued themselves with.

To be blunt; fuck the bastards.

Ian
A door, once opened, may be stepped through in either direction

Minera access 10 months 6 days ago #30100

• DaveT
The peculiar design of the lock was not NRW's fault. I provided a sketch of a design using a modified hex bolt which was slightly ambiguous and the fabricators failed to ask any questions and so came up with something different. It's not rocket science to grind a slot in a socket rather than grind a a flat on a hex wrench.

The gate should have opened outwards, but hey, these people had made gates before so I assumed they knew what they were doing!

I haven't inspected the gate in December/January, but in November there were no padlocks evident and a chain isn't required as there are through holes top and bottom for padlocks during bat hibernation.

Dave

Minera access 10 months 6 days ago #30101

• Ian
  • Thank you received: 502
DaveT wrote:
It's not rocket science to grind a slot in a socket rather than grind a a flat on a hex wrench.

Probably not but it is beyond me and not what we were led to believe was happening.

I was probably not in the best frame of mind when I made the above post.

:dry:

Ian
A door, once opened, may be stepped through in either direction
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds