Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Penarth Slate Mine Corwen

Penarth Slate Mine Corwen 5 months 1 week ago #31075

I have been referred to UCET by a member of 28dayslater Forum. I live in Chirk (about 15 miles away), and do a lot of walking, and recently visited Penarth Slate Mine. I had been told by a walker I met that there were underground chambers. I found where the entrance was, and went in with a small torch. It seemed like a cathedral, and there was an interesting note asking that people not to leave navigation marks etc. It also said that people should not visit unless experienced, and using correct equipment. As I have never been underground on my own before I left.

I hope this is not out of order, but I have a request:

I wonder if any kind members would show me round the caves?

I do not have my own transport as I had to stop driving. My epilepsy is now under full control, and have had no more problems. I am very fortunate in still being very fit, and can still walk 15 miles per day if needed. I have no fear of heights, dark, or tight spots.

I am fortunate in being retired, and have plenty of time and resources. I know things are very expensive these days, and would be more than happy to chip in £100 towards costs. As you probably know there is a 35 minute walk from the road, but access to the entrance is easy.
Many thanks
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Penarth Slate Mine Corwen 5 months 1 week ago #31082

• Ian
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 497
Mr Jones,

There are a couple of members not too far away from you.

Do you mind me asking how you got to the mine if you don't drive?

Cheers,

Ian
A door, once opened, may be stepped through in either direction
Last Edit: 5 months 1 week ago by Ian.

Penarth Slate Mine Corwen 5 months 1 week ago #31086

Very glad I moved to Chirk 5 years ago. Excellent public transport, and I live less than half mile from Station or Bus stops. Need to plan journey times to fit into bus timetable. Makes a good challenge, and helps to keep speed up near the end. Always downhill to the bus, so an easy end to any walk.

Chirk - Bus to Acrefair. Then T3 Wrexham to Barmouth bus. Get off at Llidiart y Parc. Bus stop is yards away from track leading up to the mine.

To cross the Moors 64 bus Chirk to Llanarmon DC. Then across to T3 at Corwen, Llidiart y Parc or Glyndyfrdwy.

You probably know the James Darlington Memorial, a magical spot. He is buried in Chirk Churchyard with an inscribed stone, and a separate memorial.
Last Edit: 5 months 1 week ago by Jones. Reason: spelling error

Penarth Slate Mine Corwen 5 months 1 week ago #31087

• Ian
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 497
Can you contact me on email please (we are on an open forum here) and I can pursue this with you.

(Just say "hi" so I can reply)

xxxxxxxxxxxx

:)

Ian
A door, once opened, may be stepped through in either direction
Last Edit: 5 months 1 week ago by Ian.
Moderators: cavefrog, WelshSossy, Ant89
Time to create page: 0.052 seconds