Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Where to buy a decent caving light

Where to buy a decent caving light 4 weeks 1 day ago #32267

Hey Guys need a decent caving light been down cwmorthin all day today and although my cree led headtorch is bright fed up of putting new battries in every hour all so should be there Thursday hope to see you then
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Where to buy a decent caving light 4 weeks 1 day ago #32268

• mike leahy
  • Thank you received: 238
Try Roy fellows. He makes some fantastic light at a reasonable price.
You can spend a small fortune on lights it just depends on your budget.if you can see yourself caving /mine exploring for 10 year's then I would recommend a scurion. Expensive but will. I more than 10 years so cheap in the long term

Where to buy a decent caving light 4 weeks 1 day ago #32269

• Ian
  • Thank you received: 504
I would suggest a "Sten" but I am pretty sure they are no longer available.

I realise this is unhelpful but it's all I can offer .....

:unsure:

Ian
A door, once opened, may be stepped through in either direction

Where to buy a decent caving light 4 weeks 1 day ago #32270

• Sweetie
  • Don't like ladders, ropes, getting wet or the dark!
  • Thank you received: 261
I'd recommend a Fenix HL55 £80ish with upgraded battery and charger with one of those cells I showed you and you took a photo of. The lowest setting is good for approx 150 hours on one battery and is fine for digging and adit levels etc. For big chambers etc. the 3rd power level is fine which gives you 10 Hours. The 4th setting is probably too bright for the average Thursday night trip and will start annoying other people on the trip by blinding them, but that gives you around 4 hours and then there is a burst setting which switches back down to the previous setting after 10 seconds for looking up big stopes etc.

I'm pretty sure Ade has just bought a couple of Fenix lights too??? So you could ask him how he finds them. I bought mine from Inglesport.

Hope this helps B)
This universe contains protons, neutrons, electrons and morons.

Where to buy a decent caving light 4 weeks 3 hours ago #32275

• timwatts
  • Thank you received: 335
I've been caving for about 8 years using one of roy fellows 'trigon' lamps (now discontinued). Other than a power pack that eventually got a bad cell i've not really had any trouble at all.

His newer designs are even more robust.

link here:

www.ledcaplamps.com/products.htm
-
Tim Watts
Last Edit: 4 weeks 3 hours ago by timwatts.

Where to buy a decent caving light 3 weeks 6 days ago #32282

• ADE
  • Thank you received: 32
Yes I have two of the Fenix, which I think are fine. Just need to make sure you get the fairly expensive rechargeable batteries that go with it. Provides plenty of light to see all the shit around you.

They have just released a HL60R which looks even better and the battery is fixed with a charger connector to the light. Has a lifetime guarantee too. about £70.
Ade
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sweetie

Where to buy a decent caving light 3 weeks 5 days ago #32283

• Ant89
  • Thank you received: 186
You can't go wrong with one of Roy's lamps. Need to send both my batteries back to him due to cable failure (a known problem with this specific battery that has since been resolved except on mine as I've been too lazy to return them whilst 1 still worked).

Where to buy a decent caving light 3 weeks 3 days ago #32295

Ian wrote:
I would suggest a "Sten" but I am pretty sure they are no longer available.

I realise this is unhelpful but it's all I can offer .....

:unsure:

Ian

Odd. I was on the phone to a UK Sten stockist last week regarding a new battery pack. They'd just taken over from Excellent Stuff, who I bought my Sten from. But now the Google search no longer shows the newer (Angelsey based, I think) firm and instead shows Excellent Stuff. So it looks like there have been some changes.

As regards Mike's comment on anticipated use, as with most of my underground kit it earns it's keep not just underground. My Sten in particular has been useful in all sorts of stuff... helping to organise stuff in a 40 foot shipping container, working in an attic, working beneath a locomotive, hardcore nocturnal hedge planting....

Most popular disappointment with the Sten seems to be it's not that bright for the money. But it's got a lovely diffused beam, great for photography, and I like the simplicity of the switch, not having to keep pressing the same button to cycle through all the functions when you are somewhere naughty and just want to kill the light because you think you've been bubbled. For mega bright I have a Chinese knock-off hand torch that's brighter than my car's headlights and retains the important battery life of the cap lamp if you drain the bright one with taking photos. Being a naturally awkward, clumsy twat I also massively value the Sten's extremely compact size and infinitely variable angle-ability - unlike others which give you way too high / too high / too low / way too low.
Last Edit: 3 weeks 3 days ago by ivortheengine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shananna

Where to buy a decent caving light 3 weeks 2 days ago #32306

• Ian
  • Thank you received: 504
"Excellent Stuff" was the company owned by Simon Lowe (Aditnow) and I remember a convo I had wherein he was letting it go and passing it onto Vanoord (Rupert Jones).

He is on Anglesey so I assume that did happen but I also think there was another issue preventing "normal flow" ......

Dunno though, I am a little out of touch.

:blink:

Ian
A door, once opened, may be stepped through in either direction
Moderators: cavefrog, WelshSossy, Ant89
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds