Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Pen y Fron Adit

Pen y Fron Adit 4 months 1 week ago #32494

• samd603
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi folks,

Apologies if this has already been discussed - I did have a quick search of the forums but couldn't see anything related to it. I recently stumbled across this adit hidden in undergrowth near the River Alyn in Rhydymwyn. It looks intact and I was wondering if any of you had explored it?

I'd imagine it would lead to the Pen y Fron mine workings?

It's at SJ198666 (ish) and doesn't seem to appear on any maps, current or historic.

20160404_135728.jpg

20160404_135743.jpg
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike leahy, Sweetie

Pen y Fron Adit 4 months 1 week ago #32495

• Ant89
  • Thank you received: 213
We have it down somewhere under the name "bryn celyn adit" recent discussions point to it most likely being a trial.

Pen y Fron Adit 4 months 1 week ago #32496

• Sweetie
  • Don't like ladders, ropes, getting wet or the dark!
  • Thank you received: 264
Hi,

Thanks for posting the photos. I have been in it and it ends not very far in at a collapsed shaft where it looks like someone has been digging some time ago. I'm very interested in this area and have spent many hours studying maps / mine plans. You are quite correct that it doesn't appear on any maps (that I've seen anyway). I have a diagram of the "Lodes" of that whole area, and the last one on the diagram before the river bends around towards Rhydymwyn is the Bryn Celyn Lode (which is nearer the caravan park)

As I understand it, Bryn Celyn and Pen y Fron are the same mine, although some resources suggest otherwise. Logic would suggest that the adit you saw does connect, however the mine plans don't show any connection. Did you notice the waterwheel pit on the river side of the foot path? It was obviously quite an important adit in it's day and there are shafts higher up the hill too which aren't on the Bryn Celyn plans.

Sorry I can't give you a definite answer. If you find out any more info, it would be great if you share it on here.

Cheers,

Rob
This universe contains protons, neutrons, electrons and morons.

Pen y Fron Adit 4 months 1 week ago #32497

• Ian
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 556
Yes, what Ant and Rob said ....

:whistle:

Ian
A door, once opened, may be stepped through in either direction

Pen y Fron Adit 4 months 6 days ago #32500

Looks like it will be worthwhile checking that one out.

Pen y Fron Adit 4 months 6 days ago #32501

• Doug
  • Thank you received: 195
I have been in it too, as Rob says it is collapsed about 30 yards in, there is an old wheel or pulley about halfway along, at the end is an old Grosvenor caving club dig which was abandoned many years ago, it does seem to be in line with some shafts further up the hill which are partly filled.
:evil:
Mae bradwyr ymhobman

Pen y Fron Adit 4 months 6 days ago #32502

• madmicks
  • Access Officer
  • Thank you received: 279
there is another adit the same as this going into the hillside under the leet path opposite ERER-FELIN near
the cottage on the right as you enter the valley next to the river from the mold/denghbie road, Doug knows this one if any one is interested,it goes into the same hillside but no connection on the plans.
Time to create page: 0.052 seconds