Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Running Water in Maeshafn Mine

Running Water in Maeshafn Mine 1 year 9 months ago #27726

• Ian
  • Thank you received: 495
A short trip report from Wirral Caving Club and a startling revelation of running water ....

(Do we know about this? (I didn't!))

:dry: :huh: :S

Four of us had a good wander around. We followed the incline down, looked at the 'dead-ends' and then took the manway. Had a look left at the 'dead-end' and then went right. There was a rope up which we climbed and we spent a long time looking in little ascending passages all alike. Didn't find any way on.
Dropping back down the rope and along the rift passage the only way downwards was tight and floored with wet muddy gunge. I slid down this to a slightly wider bit and then tried to slide down a wetter and tighter section. There was a strong sound of falling water, but I didn't want to commit myself as I didn't have a rope to pull on and the mud was quite adhesive. I think this lies below the horizon of the main chamber at the bottom of the incline. There seemed to be an odd bucket - it would be worth a dig as the sound of water was quite pronounced. We headed back out the way we came in.
A door, once opened, may be stepped through in either direction
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Running Water in Maeshafn Mine 1 year 9 months ago #27727

• timwatts
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 333
Yes. Think this is the bit of very wet and muddy natural cave. I climbed down a few months ago. Its dumped. Obviously has a in/out flow. There's also a couple of tight little chambers that we managed to squeeze into after removing a bit of loose rock. They've been mined at some stage. Be worth a quick look though as there's obviously more water than normal moving about in there at the moment and it might give us so clues.
-
Tim Watts

Running Water in Maeshafn Mine 1 year 9 months ago #27728

• mike leahy
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 231
the water was still last time me and tim looked
Time to create page: 0.049 seconds