Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Ghyston Cave (aka Giant Cave) Bristol - October 2014

Ghyston Cave (aka Giant Cave) Bristol - October 2014 2 years 11 months ago #24021

• Mad-Dan
  • Awesome
  • Thank you received: 161
Ghyston Cave, Visited by myself and Cavefrog (Vikki)

Ghyston cave is located on St Vincent's Rocks, on the cliff face, 250 feet above the floor of the Avon gorge and 90 feet below the cliff top.

This cave was first mentioned as being a chapel in the year A.D. 305 and excavations, in which Romano-British pottery has been found, have revealed that it has been both a holy place and a place of refuge at various times in its history. Although the cave is in limestone, there are few formations in the natural passages.

On our trip to the mendips, the rest of the group had opted for a tourist trip around swildons hole, this just wasnt acceptable to myself and vikki and we were looking for something a little more hardcore, so off we went in search of adventure.

our first port of call was google to see what was in the area, equiped with only one bag of stuff each off we went, the trip started with a long drive, trying to navigate the roads of bristol, luckily we had a first class navigator which helped to make up for any shortcomings of the driver, we went up hill and down dale having to pass some quite difficult obstacles such as traffic lights and potholes, eventually arriving at the parking area.

we managed to find somewhere to park around the back of the cliff, which was probably about level with the cave entrance, this meant that we had a choice of walking to the bottom of the cliff and trying to climb up, or to the top and trying to climb down.

Neither of us had packed SRT or climbing kit, so we decided it would be easier to go above the cave and use a ladder to climb down. A long hard walk that was plighted with dangers eventually got us up on top of the cliff above the entrance.

We noticed a honesty kiosk when a trespass fee of £2 each payable, as there was an in-situate ladder, we didnt mind paying the 2 quid to use it. we "kitted up", paid our monies and set off down the dubious looking ladder into the cave system.

the trip down was a challenge, with a few near death experiences, we first had to deal with what I can only discribe as a doorway, obviously it wasnt adoorway, but i dont really know how else to describe it, then there was a spirally bit, which was difficult to navigate, but passable with care.

The cave has a very light feel to it, even with your headlamp turned off, it almost feels like you can still see, while the cave isnt very big it is quite charming and the enterance has stunning views over the avon gorge.

we didnt spend long in the cave, and soon had to make our way back out, back up the rather sketchy fixed ladder. once out, we just slid down the rocks back towards where we had parked and retired to a nearby establishment to sample some of the local delicacy's.

trip time was probably 40mins and i would say this is a definite grade 4, if not a 5 system. visit with care..

some pics..

2_2014-10-06.jpg

3_2014-10-06.jpg

4_2014-10-06.jpg

5_2014-10-06.jpg

6_2014-10-06.jpg

7_2014-10-06.jpg

8_2014-10-06.jpg

9_2014-10-06.jpg
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by Mad-Dan.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Ghyston Cave (aka Giant Cave) Bristol - October 2014 2 years 11 months ago #24022

• timwatts
  • Thank you received: 333
You people are mad! That trip was suicidal! Hard core! :-)
-
Tim Watts

Ghyston Cave (aka Giant Cave) Bristol - October 2014 2 years 11 months ago #24023

• Mad-Dan
  • Awesome
if you look on the rockface on the left, you can see the entrance

1_2014-10-06.jpg

Ghyston Cave (aka Giant Cave) Bristol - October 2014 2 years 11 months ago #24026

• Ian
  • Thank you received: 495
Good trip report (well :dry: )

Pay your subs, join and stop being miserable :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Ian
A door, once opened, may be stepped through in either direction
The following user(s) said Thank You: timwatts

Ghyston Cave (aka Giant Cave) Bristol - October 2014 2 years 11 months ago #24031

• Mad-Dan
  • Awesome
I will for next year. Pointless now as it's nearly next year now.
Time to create page: 0.061 seconds