Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Gopro - shizzle you should know.

Gopro - shizzle you should know. 4 years 4 months ago #18834

• Mad-Dan
  • Awesome
  • Thank you received: 161
As some of you will know, i got a Gopro black!

I know there were a few people looking at them, but were unsure of the "hype" around their low-light capability.

Well i've had mine a week and a bit, done an underground trip, and an overground trip, and had a play doing stills with it.

Heres my views.

Are they any good underground?

Yes and No!
To make the most of the low light capability, you have to shoot in "protune" mode, then you have to take the footage you've shot and post process it using GoPro cineform studio, it's really easy to use, but it adds a step into your usual work flow routine.

The issue with the protune mode is it monsterss your SD card AND your battery, where as you would normally get around 1.5 hours out of a standard battery (2.5 hours on the white and silver versions) in protune you probably half that.

i know this isnt a huge issue as you can just carry more batteries and cards, but remember this means you have to actually change them.

More batteries means more charging, the gopro doesn't come with a charger, you have to plug it into a USB on your PC, so you can only charge one battery at a time, unless you buy a stand alone charger (more expense)

the good thing with protune is, for anyone who knows about photography, it acts the same as a RAW image, and you can do pretty much anything that you can do with a raw image.

the rest of the camera is as you would expect, the hero3 has the same issues as the older models where they freeze if you keep turning them on and off, they dont have a screen (but you can buy one, OR connect it to your smart phone) with the gopro app and they are small enough to loose if you're not careful.

stills are "reasonable" in good light, not very good in the dark without a tripod. but you have a fixed focal lenth 3mm and the rest of the settings as far as i can find are automatic (appart from colour balance)

when buying have a real good look about, i managed to find mine (new) for £220 + £16 postage from the USA, and that came with a 32gb card and 2 extra batteries, i did also get a load of other stuff chucked in, but that was down to a problem with the transaction. that said, there are a number of snide ones for sale online, so just watch what you're doing.

Not sure how much underground use mine will get, but i'm more than glad i got one, and i'm very pleased with it.

recomended (but you need to read and re-read the instructions to get the most from it)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: timwatts

Gopro - shizzle you should know. 4 years 4 months ago #18835

• Mad-Dan
  • Awesome
a still with the settings set to "wide 12mp"

Gopro - shizzle you should know. 4 years 4 months ago #18836

• mike leahy
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 235
you go up snowdon(the easy way) and you take a photo of the fuckin train :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Gopro - shizzle you should know. 4 years 4 months ago #18837

• Mad-Dan
  • Awesome
The easy way? LMAO i needed a rope to get back down

Gopro - shizzle you should know. 4 years 4 months ago #18839

• Ian
  • Thank you received: 502
mike leahy wrote:
you go up snowdon(the easy way) and you take a photo of the fuckin train :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Funniest thing I have read in years :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
A door, once opened, may be stepped through in either direction

Gopro - shizzle you should know. 4 years 4 months ago #18909

• timwatts
  • Thank you received: 334
Nice one Dan - thanks for the update.

I've had my Gopro for several years as you know and as we talked about a good while ago with a decent light (Trigon in Flood mode) it is just about reasonable for close range work but the footage was pretty dire with any kind of spot light, even playing with different metering modes didn't help really with massive noise in the darker areas and total burn out in the centre and no way of metering anything in between.

I've been holding off buying the black (as you know) until some other muppet got one, to see if it was actually worth the upgrade (i.e. if i didn't already have the older model i wouldn't have hesitated but if its not 'that' much better i won't bother as the above ground performance of mine is 'acceptable'.)

I think i'll wait and see a bit more of your underground footage before making my mind up.

Can you not put the double battery on? I've got the bacpac thing for mine that holds (and allows independant charging of) a second battery and with a 32gig card at 24fps x 720p (obviously it does 1080p too) i get about 6 hours non stop.

Biggest problem is that i've got terrabytes worth of recordings of everything from Skiing to mountain biking to scuba diving to climbing to caving and never a chance in hell of wading through it all. Its 'too' easy to end up with hours and hours of footage which makes the job of trying to edit it down so much more time consuming.

Unless you want a complete record of a through trip my advice would be (you probably already do this coz u're on the ball) to be more disciplined than me and try to stop/start often to record short clips which makes editing easier and vastly cuts down the crap. As I'm sure you've already found, the only time you actually keep your head still is those few moments you're thinking 'ohh, i'm videoing now' and most of the rest is pretty useless anyway.

That being the case 45mins of recording time - used with the stop/start technique isn't actually too bad and coupled with a battery / card change during butty stop is manageable i guess. Have you considered getting a wireless remote thing on your wrist?

What it is good for when recording 'all day' is picking up audio - i have some fantastic one liners and quotes from vicki in my blackmail archive for example!

:-)

Keep up posted with any further learning fella.
-
Tim Watts

Gopro - shizzle you should know. 4 years 4 months ago #18910

• timwatts
p.s. can you upload a copy of the photo as it came outa the camera - that version appears to have had the HYPER sharpen and Curve Tweak that makes all your photos look, well, Dan-esque! ;-)
-
Tim Watts

Gopro - shizzle you should know. 4 years 4 months ago #18911

• Mad-Dan
  • Awesome
the black comes with the wifi remote as standard.

Gopro - shizzle you should know. 4 years 4 months ago #18919

• timwatts
cool - didn't realise that - is the remote cave/mine proof? water proof?
-
Tim Watts
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by timwatts.

Gopro - shizzle you should know. 4 years 4 months ago #18924

• Mad-Dan
  • Awesome
I'm going to go with no as the contacts for charging it are exposed. to be honest, i havent read that much of the 316 page instruction book

I did also mean to say, yes you can put a battery expander and LCD touch screen on.

Gopro - shizzle you should know. 4 years 4 months ago #18937

• timwatts
gonna do some research, if my existing battery backpack and extra batteries are the 'same' and i can reuse them then i'm going for it :-)
-
Tim Watts

Gopro - shizzle you should know. 4 years 3 months ago #18988

• timwatts
got bored and pissed off today coz of more chopper delays so went comfort shopping - a black is on its way and a high speed 64gig card and two extra batteries - and i think my old battery backpac fits too - but not 100% sure about that
-
Tim Watts

Gopro - shizzle you should know. 4 years 3 months ago #18989

• Mad-Dan
  • Awesome
top stuff..

I've just ordered a silver, and when payday comes I'm buying my self an R6, so that gives me the chance to use 2 cams at the same time.

Gopro - shizzle you should know. 4 years 3 months ago #18991

• timwatts
yer - keeping my old hero HD to use as second cam - one on ski tip looking back at me - one on chest/helmet/boot looking forward or on ski pole to use as a extension handle. gives more to edit with :-)
-
Tim Watts

Gopro - shizzle you should know. 4 years 3 months ago #18992

• timwatts
rioch r6 or yamaha R6? lol

why?
-
Tim Watts

Gopro - shizzle you should know. 4 years 3 months ago #18994

• Mad-Dan
  • Awesome
A yamaha R6 lol.

why? I've been without a bike for about 4 years now, time I got myself a new toy, plus i can fit in my leathers again

Gopro - shizzle you should know. 4 years 3 months ago #18995

• timwatts
haha - you do realise by the time u get it the summer will be over right?
-
Tim Watts

Gopro - shizzle you should know. 4 years 3 months ago #18997

• Mad-Dan
  • Awesome
never been a summer rider anyway, there just as much fun in the wet, well more fun if i'm honest.

Gopro - shizzle you should know. 4 years 3 months ago #18999

• NewStuff
  • Yeah, not liking that...
  • Thank you received: 43
Mad-Dan wrote:
A yamaha R6 lol.

Lose the fairing, put some Renthals on it, and, if you like the Euro style, jack the back seat up. Turbo and/or nitrous are sort-of optional.
You want me to go down *there*? On a bloody *rope*?

Gopro - shizzle you should know. 4 years 3 months ago #19001

• Mad-Dan
  • Awesome
LOL, it will remain standard, the riding position is a little hunched for me, but i like the balance of the R6
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds