Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Sony A200 Camera

Sony A200 Camera 4 years 2 months ago #19443

• Sweetie
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Don't like ladders, ropes, getting wet or the dark!
  • Thank you received: 258
I'm watching a few of these on eBay at the moment. I know Dan uses / used to use a Sony underground. What are peoples thoughts on the a200?

As some of you may be aware, I drowned my Fujitsu a few weeks ago so I wan't something similar but with interchangeable lenses and a longer shutter speed than 15 secs...
This universe contains protons, neutrons, electrons and morons.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Sony A200 Camera 4 years 2 months ago #19445

• Mad-Dan
  • Awesome
  • Thank you received: 161
All my underground shots are taken with an A200

The A200 is pretty old now, but when it came out, it had the same features and specs as the semi-pro models, but in a smaller body with some of those features only accessible through the menu.

all i can really tell you is from my experience with mine, it currently has 213000 shutter activations, it's done over 200 underground trips, it's been dropped, wet, covered in mud and kicked and after all that, it still works.

you've seen the pictures i take, so you'll have to make your own mind up if the're any good at that.

what i will say though, I've never taken a JPG picture with my camera, i always shoot in raw format, so i have no idea what the in camera jpg conversion is like. they only take compact flash memory cards and if you intend to use a external flash (there is one built in) then you need a sony/minolta mount one or hot-shoe converter, as sony use a none standard shoe mount.

and general blerb about sony... with the bodies you seam to get a lot for your money, if you have £500 to spend on a new body, you will get a much better spec sony than you would get with canon or nikon, but when you come to buying lenses, sony A mount lenses are still expensive, this is cos there aren't as many of them kicking about, but for just general undergroundness, the kit 18-70 is all i use anyway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sweetie

Sony A200 Camera 4 years 2 months ago #19447

• NewStuff
  • Yeah, not liking that...
  • Thank you received: 43
While I don't use a Sony DSLR (Aforementioned lack of lenses), I do use a Sony NEX. If you can deal with manual focus and aperture, you can pick up nice glass for a fraction of the price of Sony/Minolta Glass. You can use the vast majority of old SLR lenses. Adaptors for the different lens mounts are £5-£30 on Fleabay (look for seller "Big-IS").

It's horses for courses. The NEX series are not suited for action/long lens shots, but are small and versatile. It walks over my EOS 400D in every way apart from ergonomics with a long lens.
You want me to go down *there*? On a bloody *rope*?

Sony A200 Camera 4 years 2 months ago #19448

• Mad-Dan
  • Awesome
yeh, i also have a sony SLT camera, again it is very good and the NEX series are good too, but still very expensive.

if you intend bidding on any of the a200's on flebay you need to let be know which ones so i'm not bidding against you as i'm in the market for a spare, with 213k shutter activation's mine cant have much life left in it.

Sony A200 Camera 4 years 2 months ago #19451

• Ian
  • Thank you received: 502
Buy something for a tenner from Ebay then you won't be exasperated when you destroy it again.

Trust me, I know :dry:

Ian
A door, once opened, may be stepped through in either direction

Sony A200 Camera 4 years 2 months ago #19459

• Sweetie
  • NOW ONLINE
Dan: no worries, I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your advice. Your photos are awesome, I'm pretty sure it's only 20% down to the camera though and 80% the fact you're an awesome photographer (lap up the compliment, they don't happen often) ;)

All: cheers for your advice B)

Sony A200 Camera 4 years 2 months ago #19462

• Sweetie
  • NOW ONLINE
Another question..... Does the a200 have a timelapse funtion or the ability to plug in one of those timelapse remote doofers?

Sony A200 Camera 4 years 2 months ago #19463

• NewStuff
  • Yeah, not liking that...
  • Thank you received: 43
Sweetie wrote:
Another question..... Does the a200 have a timelapse funtion or the ability to plug in one of those timelapse remote doofers?

Sorry, but it's probably not built in, given this exists. Looks easy enough to add though.

www.amazon.co.uk/YongNuo-TC-80-Remote-Sh...iveASIN%3DB009ATHIHU

I should mention if you are considering the NEX, that the 3 series does not have a remote, nor the ability to add one. 10 second self-timer works as you would expect though.
You want me to go down *there*? On a bloody *rope*?
Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by NewStuff.

Sony A200 Camera 4 years 2 months ago #19464

• Sweetie
  • NOW ONLINE
Cool, Cheers :)

Sony A200 Camera 4 years 2 months ago #19465

• Mad-Dan
  • Awesome
as Ali says, none built in, but mine was £9 off ebay, just plugs in the side or you can get a wireless one for about £25
Time to create page: 0.062 seconds