Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Titan - 8th October (Can't do 1/2nd any more)

Titan - 8th October (Can't do 1/2nd any more) 12 years 8 months ago #2213

• timwatts
  • Thank you received: 433

!! IMPORTANT !!
8TH OOCTOBER.

]List so far:

8th Oct:

1) Tim Watts
2) Ferret
3) Boydy
4) Dylan
5) Corin
6) Mike Leahy
7) Frank

I'm not gonna camp any more - for various reasons. Travelling from North Wales sunday morning - be at the Glan at 7am if you want to jump in for a lift.

Failing that we need to meet at 9:30 at the TSG old chapel - GREEN DOORS HERE:

click here for a map!

more info here TSG website

Park where you can in the village and then make your way in your clean kit to the chapel (link above) hammer on the green door and say you're with me from UCET - hopefully i'll already be there. Bring all your caving kit with you as we can get geared up in the chapel and then i'll run us all up to the top of titan in our dirty gear in the landy - saves getting changed on the mountain and means we walk straight back to the chapel when we come out to get hot showers and clean gear - well, you lot can - muggins here will have to go back up to de-rig :-(

After a fantastic trip down titan last Saturday, I'm more than happy to suggest another trip down Titan on the original date of Saturday 1st or Sunday 2nd October. This has got to be moved to the 8/9th october at Dave Nixons (keyholders) request

The basis will be entry down Titan and then exit via Peak. However we'll more than likely be de-rigging the route (depending on other clubs trips the same day etc) so there will be an option for some to ascent up Titan if they fancy it. There are a number of round trips options we (some) can do depending how we want to play it.

Its a fairly non-technical trip - even though its the biggest (tallest) natural cave in the UK. That said you will need to be compotent and confident at passing a hanging re-belay. All new members will be doing this when they complete their training but you need to have a think about you're own confidence levels. If properly rigged its very straight forward but non the less, you will have just come down an 80m rope into pure blackness, and at the rebelay you will still be 60m from the floor of the cave, very much on your own and isolated from view and earshot of others around you.

The entrance is via a man made 50m shaft - a simple single pitch abseil. Then a man made passage cutting under a bedding plane brings you out onto a natural 'balcony' at the top of titan itself. From to floor to the ceiling is an impressive 147m. The first pitch of 80m brings you down to the huge 'ledge' of Event Horizon - the first contact with rock that you will have since leaving the balcony at the top. Over the edge of
this ledge you will reach the rebelay which is free-hanging but fairly straight forward if rigged correctly. Then a further 60m abseil takes you to to bottom.

The rest of the trip through to Peak does not require SRT, although we have the choice of including a round trip which also has some huge SRT pitches (up AND down) if we want to carry more rope in!

We'll need the following ropes for the basic Titan trip:

50m
80m
60m

Then we'd need another 80m (I need to recheck this) if we do the internal 'round' trip.

The basic trip down Titan and out of peak takes 2 hours if you're getting a move on - but typically around 4 hours at an 'average' speed. We can add extra parts to make it around 8 hours if we like.

Exit via Speedwell is no longer allowed except in emergency's but I have the contacts required to get permission to exit via Peak Cavern instead.

Any questions feel free to fire them through.

I'd like to limit the numbers to around 6-8 people but if we have more there is an option to run two groups through in opposite directions - perhaps sending one down via James Hall and out via titan - crossing each other midway.

Anyone interested in going please respond below.

p.s. there is also the option of using the TSG hut (the old chapel) in Castleton for an overnight stay if anyone wants to do that?

Tim

(Photo by Robbie Shone - looking down titan from half way down! Guy in red suit is at the level of the rebelay - i.e. theres even more above!)

Titan1.jpg
-
Tim Watts
Last Edit: 12 years 6 months ago by timwatts.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Titan - 1st or 2nd October 12 years 8 months ago #2214

• mike leahy
  • Thank you received: 666
i'll be there . what do you mean "if rigged properly" are you having a go at crazy??:whistle: :whistle: .i'm not sure you young lads have the energy to prussick up titan . you might have to leave it up to us OLD guy's ABLOODYGAIN:P :P :P

Re: Titan - 1st or 2nd October 12 years 8 months ago #2218

• JohnO
  • Thank you received: 12
I would be interested in going down but would need a refresh course in hanging re-belay and provided you think I am up to the SRT part.

Unfortunately I am not old enough to qualify to prussick back up, which is a shame.

JohnO.

Re: Titan - 1st or 2nd October 12 years 8 months ago #2220

• timwatts
johno - i think you'd be fine. If you want a bit of 1on1 for some practice just let me know - theres a nice quiet tree at the back of my place or we can nip into spar or something?
-
Tim Watts

Re: Titan - 1st or 2nd October 12 years 8 months ago #2221

• timwatts
mike leahy wrote:
i'll be there . what do you mean "if rigged properly" are you having a go at crazy??:whistle: :whistle: .i'm not sure you young lads have the energy to prussick up titan . you might have to leave it up to us OLD guy's ABLOODYGAIN:P :P :P

i was thinking more if WE rig it properly. Anyway what are YOU trying to say about Crazy? Other than he's crazy! :ohmy:

If you are stupid enough to prussic back up then so be it! :P

What would be best is to meet, get changed and leave cars down in castleton and I'll take everyone up to the entrance in the landy and leave it there. Then when we come out at the bottom two of us can go up in another car, ab down again (or half way down anyway) to de-rig and then drive back down in the two cars with all the gear.

That way YOU (as you've so kindly volunteered) ONLY have to prussic back up the 80 and 50, and I (as i didn't) only have to prussic up the 50. (If i even bother coming down to the head of titan with you to shout abuse down at you as you puff and pant your OLD body back up again). :evil:
-
Tim Watts

Re: Titan - 1st or 2nd October 12 years 8 months ago #2222

• Labrat
  • Thank you received: 1
Me please, thats lab rat me! I want to do it! I will bring flapjack and energy bulls taurine for ascending the looonnnggg rope up! Fantastic.

Please put my name down and I will alter my shift pattern.

Many thanks :) :)
Love it . . . :)

Re: Titan - 1st or 2nd October 12 years 7 months ago #2225

im more than up for this one:woohoo: labrats flapjack,a big climb up rope,sounds like a good trip.put my name down.i got plenty of rope if needed.:woohoo::blink:
is it my eye?????

Re: Titan - 1st or 2nd October 12 years 7 months ago #2227

• Labrat
1st or 2nd of October is thursday or friday - is this correct in your planning Tim????? If so......

2nd (friday) would be a whole lot easier for me! Means I dont have to pull a sick note out of the hat! ;)

Re: Titan - 1st or 2nd October 12 years 7 months ago #2237

• timwatts
what year was your diary printed? Coz on mine 1st and 2nd October is a sat/sun. You aure you're not looking at september by accident?????
-
Tim Watts

Re: Titan - 1st or 2nd October 12 years 7 months ago #2238

• Suboffender
  • Thank you received: 83
I won't know till closer to the date, i start back with the Army stuff again soon, and there is a good chance that i may be freezing my knackers off in Sennybridge that weekend :(.

Re: Titan - 1st or 2nd October 12 years 7 months ago #2239

Sarah and I are definately up for it providing we can get up to speed on SRT prior to that. I guess we'll have to wait and see closer to the time.

Agreed 1st and 2nd Oct is defo a Sat and Sun. Our illustrious leaders eye sight isn't what it used to be and is probably the cause of his slight diary error!

Re: Titan - 1st or 2nd October 12 years 7 months ago #2382

• Frank
  • Thank you received: 21
Seeing as Ian has press ganged me into joining the club I'd love to come along however only if its Sat 1st
Cheers
Frank

Re: Titan - 1st or 2nd October 12 years 7 months ago #2384

• timwatts
Sounds good to me - is everyone else ok for the 1st (saturday)???
-
Tim Watts

Re: Titan - 1st or 2nd October 12 years 7 months ago #2385

• mike leahy
1st is ok but you need to keep an eye on numbers, a couple of peeps have shown an interest in doing peak through to jh and back out through peak so plenty of scope for a good day out (or in ) ( or under) what ever:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Re: Titan - 1st or 2nd October 12 years 7 months ago #2386

• Labrat
Saturday is cool for me too.

Tim - if I come up Friday, would you mind if I stayed?? and could I scrounge a lift as well please???

:)

Re: Titan - 1st or 2nd October 12 years 7 months ago #2389

• timwatts
lab - yer course you can - or even go up to derbyshire the night before if anyone fancies that??
-
Tim Watts

Re: Titan - 1st or 2nd October 12 years 7 months ago #2391

saturdays ab fab for me,im up for going up riday night if anyone needs a lift.woohoo
is it my eye?????

Re: Titan - 1st or 2nd October 12 years 7 months ago #2411

• timwatts
Just been talking to Dave Nixon - we might have a problem for the 1st October weekend due to other groups.

Might have to move it - would people be able to manage the 8th October (i.e. the following saturday?)
-
Tim Watts

Re: Titan - 1st or 2nd October 12 years 7 months ago #2413

• mike leahy
TimWatts wrote:
Just been talking to Dave Nixon - we might have a problem for the 1st October weekend due to other groups.

Might have to move it - would people be able to manage the 8th October (i.e. the following saturday?)

whats the problem with that , we can use the rope and wont have to de-rig . happy day's:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: .
i can't see a problem with numbers we can just time it to suit the other group, it does'nt take that long to get down . it's not as though they restrict the group numbers coming out of peak . as long as you fill in the form and pay up ?????????

Re: Titan - 1st or 2nd October 12 years 7 months ago #2415

• JohnO
  • Thank you received: 12
I am Ok for the 8th but not the weekend after.

John
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds