Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: UCET Trip Advisor Thurs 21st Apr Cae Coch Sulphur Mine

UCET Trip Advisor Thurs 21st Apr Cae Coch Sulphur Mine 2 years 1 month ago #41640

• Ian
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 1441
UCET Trip Advisor

Howdy Doody,

Here are the details for our next Thursday night trip;

Meet Place : B5106 (see Link)
Meet Date : Thursday 21st April 2022
Meet Time : 6:30pm-6:45pm
Requirements : Wellies, overalls, helmet, lamp, gloves, (change of clothes if you intend to enter the red waters)

Link to Parking: www.google.com/maps/@53.173422,-3.830230...w!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Nearest Postcode : LL27 0JS

Notes : This mine contains pretty red pools of acid. The “Red waters” below (if it is possible to reach them) are better than a Martian delight because scientists cannot find any water left on Mars. The water will rot your clothes if you don’t wash them pronto having been in there. Some of the “pretties” are awesome. Once mined for fool’s gold (Iron Pyrites) to supply metal for tanks in WW2.

Suitable for novices.

If you do fancy coming, please could you let us know by posting to the forum (link above). No worries if you don’t know.

Thanks !

See you soon…..

:)

Ian
(On behalf of Richard, the trip organiser)

DSCF2113.jpg
Currently at rest in the Elephant's graveyard
The administrator has disabled public write access.

UCET Trip Advisor Thurs 21st Apr Cae Coch Sulphur Mine 2 years 1 month ago #41641

• Ian
  • NOW ONLINE
Dave, could you update CAL please? B)

UCET Trip Advisor Thurs 21st Apr Cae Coch Sulphur Mine 2 years 1 month ago #41643

• Stones
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 583
I should be there

UCET Trip Advisor Thurs 21st Apr Cae Coch Sulphur Mine 2 years 1 month ago #41644

Hi, Id like to come? Im a complete novice. Ref equipment. is it possible to borrow club helmet and lamp? Ill get the other bits this week. Ref overalls. what sort for this trip?

UCET Trip Advisor Thurs 21st Apr Cae Coch Sulphur Mine 2 years 1 month ago #41646

• Ian
  • NOW ONLINE
Richard - could you bring a lid for Rob please?

Rob - any overalls will do - it's a fairly big mine. You should defo avoid standing in the acid pools throughout the upper parts (Wellies won't be affected but "boots" certainly will). The Red waters are weak acid but will certainly dissolve stitching on caving suits and also degrade the material of overalls. Any overalls/suit is fine so long as you wash it when you get home. The longer you wait to do this, the less there will be left to wash.

Ian
Last Edit: 2 years 1 month ago by Ian.

UCET Trip Advisor Thurs 21st Apr Cae Coch Sulphur Mine 2 years 1 month ago #41647

• DaveT
  • Thank you received: 155
Ian wrote:
Dave, could you update CAL please? B)
Have done - just need final numbers after the event.
We have friends coming round Thursday so I will have miss this trip. Hope it goes OK, water levels should be quite low and an aqueous through trip *might* be possible - but very wet. May be a few bats around in the upper levels, but no problems as they should be out of hibernation risk now.

Dave

UCET Trip Advisor Thurs 21st Apr Cae Coch Sulphur Mine 2 years 1 month ago #41648

• Richard
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 356
Through trip no longer possible because of landslip over adit :(

UCET Trip Advisor Thurs 21st Apr Cae Coch Sulphur Mine 2 years 1 month ago #41650

• DaveT
  • Thank you received: 155
Richard wrote:
Through trip no longer possible because of landslip over adit :(
We (Chris, Tom & I) dug it open and put in a drain August 2021. Its low and wet as the approach from the inside is neck deep water...
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Richard

UCET Trip Advisor Thurs 21st Apr Cae Coch Sulphur Mine 2 years 1 month ago #41651

• ILT
  • Thank you received: 122
DaveT wrote:
We (Chris, Tom & I) dug it open and put in a drain August 2021. Its low and wet as the approach from the inside is neck deep water...
Dave

'down and beyond' (Tom Ferry) posted photos showing the drain instalation online - obviously not on here but do you recall where? Possibly one of the urban exploration groups he frequents?

UCET Trip Advisor Thurs 21st Apr Cae Coch Sulphur Mine 2 years 4 weeks ago #41652

• JamHut
  • Thank you received: 10
I’ll be there.

UCET Trip Advisor Thurs 21st Apr Cae Coch Sulphur Mine 2 years 4 weeks ago #41653

• Richard
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 356
Thanks Dave! :cheer:
Sweetie and I looked at it last year to see about digging it open, you beat us to it! :lol:

UCET Trip Advisor Thurs 21st Apr Cae Coch Sulphur Mine 2 years 4 weeks ago #41654

• STH
  • Thank you received: 27
Hi Ian, I would like to visit chae coch on Thursday too. This will be my 3rd trip as a guest with UCET. I Have now invested in a helmet and have a reasonable lamp to stick on it. I will be able to confirm my attendance after checking with work tomorrow (Tuesday).
Fingers crossed - Simon (Houston)

UCET Trip Advisor Thurs 21st Apr Cae Coch Sulphur Mine 2 years 4 weeks ago #41655

• Ian
  • NOW ONLINE
Simon,

Yes, no problem ;)

Ian
The following user(s) said Thank You: STH

UCET Trip Advisor Thurs 21st Apr Cae Coch Sulphur Mine 2 years 4 weeks ago #41656

• STH
  • Thank you received: 27
Yes. I will be there Thursday.

UCET Trip Advisor Thurs 21st Apr Cae Coch Sulphur Mine 2 years 3 weeks ago #41657

• JamHut
  • Thank you received: 10
I’m having to drop out on this one, week got too busy and going away on Fri
Sorry peeps ☹️
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds