Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hidden Earth 2014: 26-28 September 2014, Leek, Stafford

Hidden Earth 2014: 26-28 September 2014, Leek, Stafford 9 years 11 months ago #23079

• timwatts
  • Thank you received: 433
Hidden Earth 2014: 26-28 September 2014, Leek, Staffordshire.

hidden-earth.org.uk/index2.html

I'll be going Friday 26th right through the weekend. I'll be camping & attending the meal and the stomp etc.

Space for up to nine of us in the Landy if anyone wants to come with me.

Excited coz i missed the last couple of years :-(

Names below please :-)
-
Tim Watts
Last Edit: 9 years 11 months ago by timwatts.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hidden Earth 2014: 26-28 September 2014, Leek, Stafford 9 years 11 months ago #23080

• timwatts
Info:

Hidden Earth is the UK's annual caving conference, hosted by the British Cave Research Association and the British Caving Association for the benefit of all cavers.

Online bookings for Hidden Earth can be made from 1 June until a week before the event.

New Surveying Competitions: In addition to the usual Closed Loop Survey Contest, BCRA's Cave Surveying Group is organising two new survey drawing competitions this year; one for printed surveys and one for digital surveys that have been uploaded to the BCA survey data repository. Leica Geosystems has donated prizes of a Disto X310 for each of these new competitions.

If you are thinking of offering to give a lecture or to participate in any way, please do not wait to be asked! With our limited manpower we cannot ask everybody individually. Contact us and let us know what you want to do.

On-site events will include...

• Expedition and science lectures
  • Regional UK caving round-ups
  • Meetings and workshops
  • Trade and club stands in the exhibition area
  • Photo and art displays
  • Competitions
  • Rope testing rig
  • Saturday evening dinner with guest speaker Rick Stanton
  • Camping
  • Please note that the venue has a policy of "no dogs except guide dogs".

Speleo-Olympics: Grab a mate and try the caver assault course, with the prospect of winning a bottle of champagne and your names on the trophy. (The event will take place at times throughout the weekend, in the exhibition area).

SRT Competitions:Prusik race, and assault course (passing re-belays).

Saturday Evening:As in previous years there is a dinner for which you need to book in advance.

After the dinner there will be the usual Stomp and Bar. This year, entry to the Stomp is free (but admission is to conference delegates only). .

Competitions

BCRA Photo Salon: This is a place where everyone from beginner to seasoned professional can display their photographs. There are three main categories of competition - colour print, monochrome print, and digital files. Additional prizes include the prestigious Premier Trophy, best UK newcomer, cave life and the fun shot, judged by the audience 'laughometer'. There are prizes in all categories.

Video Media Salon: The term 'video media' is intended to encompass all depictions of moving images and sequences of pictures and the competition will cover any aspect of caves, mines or potholes. Entries will be screened at the conference and will be judged for their artistic, technical and aesthetic qualities with particular emphasis on artistic originality and innovation. Prizes awarded. Please note that entry forms must be completed in advance of the event - entries on the day are not accepted.

ISSA Art & Cartoon Salons: These are open to all forms of visual art, except photographs, including drawing, painting, print-making, sculpture and textiles relating to any aspect of caves and caving. Entries will be judged, this year, by a panel of judges. The art salon is organised for Hidden Earth by the International Society for Speleological Art.

Club T-shirt Competition: Display your Club T-shirt and if it catches people's eye for its art or wit, you might win a prize!

Cave Survey Salon: In addition to the traditional Closed Loop Survey Contest, BCRA's Cave Surveying Group is organising two new cave survey competitions this year; one for printed surveys and one for digital surveys that have been uploaded to the BCA survey data repository. For 2013 to 2015, Leica Geosystems has donated prizes of a Disto X310 for each of these new competitions. See Cave Survey Salon.

Design an impressive Caving Club Stand: for the exhibition area and win a prize.
-
Tim Watts
Last Edit: 9 years 11 months ago by timwatts.

Hidden Earth 2014: 26-28 September 2014, Leek, Stafford 9 years 11 months ago #23082

• Doug
  • Thank you received: 388
Go on then, put me down :woohoo:
By the way Tim I think I left the drawings and fitting in your Landy, I hope so anyway because otherwise I have lost them.
can you confirm. :sick:
Mae bradwyr ymhobman

Hidden Earth 2014: 26-28 September 2014, Leek, Stafford 9 years 10 months ago #23099

• timwatts
yer they are still in landy - no worries though - i'll drop them to you next time i see you.
-
Tim Watts

Hidden Earth 2014: 26-28 September 2014, Leek, Stafford 9 years 8 months ago #23652

• Sweetie
  • Don't like ladders, ropes, getting wet or the dark!
  • Thank you received: 530
I'm planning on going this year Friday - Sunday and camping over. Anyone else interested? It's £50 including camping, meal & T-Shirt.
This universe contains protons, neutrons, electrons and morons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LesW

Hidden Earth 2014: 26-28 September 2014, Leek, Stafford 9 years 8 months ago #23654

• LesW
  • Thank you received: 225
I might go this year... :dry:
I'm a very busy person

Hidden Earth 2014: 26-28 September 2014, Leek, Stafford 9 years 8 months ago #23655

• timwatts
sweet - we already had a thread running for 2014 H.E. so i've just joined you're new on to it.

And yes, i'm going, and i know joels going, friday - sun camping. I'm going in landy if you want to come with us in the passion wago (space to leave van here if you want).
-
Tim Watts

Hidden Earth 2014: 26-28 September 2014, Leek, Stafford 9 years 8 months ago #23663

• Sweetie
Cool. Cheers Tim. With sort you out with fuel money / sexual favours...

Hidden Earth 2014: 26-28 September 2014, Leek, Stafford 9 years 8 months ago #23666

• mike leahy
  • Thank you received: 666
Sweetie wrote:
Cool. Cheers Tim. With sort you out with fuel money / sexual favours...
1 money's no good to him as he has enough
2 he works(werks) on the rigs so it will have to be the latter
The following user(s) said Thank You: timwatts

Hidden Earth 2014: 26-28 September 2014, Leek, Stafford 9 years 8 months ago #23677

• LesW
  • Thank you received: 225
If you are coming it would be useful if you book online so we get an idea of numbers. Also, some things (Saturday meal, t shirt) are only available if you pre-book and will not be available to purchase on the weekend...

Anybody that wants to volunteer to help with the running of the weekend should contact me in the first instance (before you book) so that I can advise you of the concessions and how to deal with that on the booking form.
For those that don't know, free admission (and camping) is available for volunteers, the work is not that onerous...

Les
I'm a very busy person

Hidden Earth 2014: 26-28 September 2014, Leek, Stafford 9 years 8 months ago #23681

• timwatts
les, as previous years, i'm happy to volunteer to help with whatever.
-
Tim Watts
The following user(s) said Thank You: LesW

Hidden Earth 2014: 26-28 September 2014, Leek, Stafford 9 years 8 months ago #23773

• timwatts
re-shout as to whos coming this year - mike, you gonna bring chris for the saturday night party too??
-
Tim Watts

Hidden Earth 2014: 26-28 September 2014, Leek, Stafford 9 years 8 months ago #23782

• Sweetie
I'm in. Roughly what time are you travelling down on the Friday Tim? :kiss:

Hidden Earth 2014: 26-28 September 2014, Leek, Stafford 9 years 8 months ago #23785

• timwatts
'whenever' anyone wants - say mid afternoon? could be later - honestly doesn't matter too much to me
-
Tim Watts

Hidden Earth 2014: 26-28 September 2014, Leek, Stafford 9 years 7 months ago #23809

• timwatts
Ok, I've just booked tickets for myself and Mike L. for the whole weekend, including camping and the meal etc. I've also applied for a table with a power socket for the club to have a table so if anyones got any stuff we can take to display that would be great. I'll take the photos and tv/video that we used for the village fairs.

i've booked for me and mike as fully price tickets but i've told les we'll still help out if required. make sure any of you who are thinking of going get tickets booked on the site soon because theres a limited number of meal tickets for the saturday night meal/band - so be quick!

One minor problem is that i'll no longer be taking the landy because the chassis has finally (i've been waiting for two years) properly cracked in half and its now off the road until the end of Jan - got it booked into M.A.D. for a full rebuild onto a brand new fully Galvanised Chassis. So rather than offering a lift to everyone, i am now looking to be offered a lift because the mrs will need the car.
-
Tim Watts

Hidden Earth 2014: 26-28 September 2014, Leek, Stafford 9 years 7 months ago #23810

• Sweetie
I only have 2 seats but you're welcome to ride in the back of the van or toss a coin with Doug for the front seat.

Doug: Do you want me to book yours when I do mine?

Hidden Earth 2014: 26-28 September 2014, Leek, Stafford 9 years 7 months ago #23813

• Tom Howard
  • Thank you received: 326
Tim, I'll be going over Friday after work. Will have 2 spare spaces in car if needed.
The trees have ears, the hills have eyes. Trust no one... but the sheep.

Hidden Earth 2014: 26-28 September 2014, Leek, Stafford 9 years 7 months ago #23815

• timwatts
Tom cool. can me and mike L jump in with you then?
-
Tim Watts

Hidden Earth 2014: 26-28 September 2014, Leek, Stafford 9 years 7 months ago #23822

• Doug
  • Thank you received: 388
Sweetie wrote:
I only have 2 seats but you're welcome to ride in the back of the van or toss a coin with Doug for the front seat.

Doug: Do you want me to book yours when I do mine?

Yes please :blink:
Mae bradwyr ymhobman

Hidden Earth 2014: 26-28 September 2014, Leek, Stafford 9 years 7 months ago #23825

• Tom Howard
  • Thank you received: 326
Yep. No worries :-)
The trees have ears, the hills have eyes. Trust no one... but the sheep.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds