Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What got you into caving ? Please all reply.

What got you into caving ? Please all reply. 5 months 3 weeks ago #38103

So to kick it off.
I had see the train on YouTube come up as a random video. Then I researched it a bit. Tried to join the grovener first lol. Then found my Homse in ucet. Spoke to Tim first and agreed to come help fix the entrance to rhyd alyn and then ended up going to see the train.
A broken clock tells the time right twice
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What got you into caving ? Please all reply. 5 months 3 weeks ago #38104

• mike leahy
  • Thank you received: 370
I've got the best one ever.
My wife got me interested in caving.

True story

What got you into caving ? Please all reply. 5 months 3 weeks ago #38105

• Ian
  • Thank you received: 811
Out walking with friends (wife not included :kiss: ) and discovered a "dry" stream and wondered where all the water had gone .... then we found a hole in the bank ..... :blink:
A door, once opened, may be stepped through in either direction

What got you into caving ? Please all reply. 5 months 3 weeks ago #38107

• kenton
  • Thank you received: 19
I was cutting the grass on the water works at cilcain and seen the entrance to poachers cave, so me being me I had to check it out and got stuck for 45 mins trying to get out without a Ladder or ropes
If it's deep and dark, let's embark

What got you into caving ? Please all reply. 5 months 3 weeks ago #38109

That’s hilarious lol but glad you got out

What got you into caving ? Please all reply. 5 months 3 weeks ago #38111

• Sweetie
  • Don't like ladders, ropes, getting wet or the dark!
  • Thank you received: 382
I belong to another club called Subterrainea Brittanica https://www.subbrit.org.uk/sites/milwr-tunnel/ Which is where I first learned about the Milwr tunnel. They don't do caving but organise the occasional field trip to ROC bunkers etc.

After some googling, I found Ian's video (no longer available) of UCET exploring the Milwr via the winch. A few minutes into the video, I recognised Steve Davies who I was in college with. I put "Join UCET" on my to do list but didn't do anything about it.

2012 was a proper shit year for me and I was in quite a dark place. Yearning for some sort of escapism, I started ticking things off my to do list..... And the rest is history :P
This universe contains protons, neutrons, electrons and morons.

What got you into caving ? Please all reply. 5 months 3 weeks ago #38112

• SDTate
  • Thank you received: 20
I got my self a map so that I could go out walking. Then I seen caves dotted about and thought I'll have a look. When I found one and had a look around a little. I wanted more. Went to Yorkshire gaping gill,had a look around down there. Tried to get in touch with North Wale club via email and nothing came bakc. Seen UCET and got in touch. One of the best things I've done.

What got you into caving ? Please all reply. 5 months 3 weeks ago #38114

• madmicks
  • Access Officer
  • Thank you received: 388
I always got caught by the railway police for pinching coal of the track then one day while being chased I ran down a large sewer pipe but they never came in to get me, the safest place I hid my contraband down there
after that and ended up with a 3.4 jaguar s type with in 2 years, true story and never looked back even today years after I still hide stuff in caves and mines and only the bats can tell,no cameras ,not even heat seeking helicopters.

Re:What got you into caving ? Please all reply. 5 months 3 weeks ago #38115

• timwatts
  • Thank you received: 393
Mick. Give me a call tomorrow. I tried you a couple of times today. Tim.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
-
Tim Watts

Re:What got you into caving ? Please all reply. 5 months 3 weeks ago #38116

Do you need to hide something Tim :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: timwatts

Re:What got you into caving ? Please all reply. 5 months 2 weeks ago #38119

• Stones
  • Thank you received: 10
got a OS map so started searching shafts/caves, found Hendre whilst out with my eldest daughter, then went back with a couple of mates to explore properly. then found more places thanks to the knowledge bank and Ian's youtube vids. then finally joined the club this year.

What got you into caving ? Please all reply. 5 months 2 weeks ago #38120

• DaveT
  • Thank you received: 53
Was always interested in old mines - though mostly on the surface, but got talking to a couple of guys in the local pub who turned out to be cavers with the 'obscure' Wirral Caving Group founded in the mid 80's. Given they knew I could rock climb they took me for a winter thru trip in Swinstow - snow in the wet crawl!

Did a few mine and caving trips before Graham, the WCG organiser, decided to give up caving. I carried on, knocked up a website,learnt to do SRT and lead trips and grew the club from a few people to around 15. Got dragged into caving politics by Ian Adams and did 3.5 years as CCC Secretary. After 12 years running WCG, I was looking for a change and people were less enthusiastic so WCG was wound down in 2019. I joined UCET..,

Probably should volunteer to lead a few trips once lock-down finishes, but prefer to be out in the hills with female company while the weather is good. Might have to re-enter caving politics to save the BCA from the idiots in CSCC (no promises Les - I think I would prefer an easier life and a warm woman!)

Dave

RIP Wirral Caving Group: born ~1986 died end 2018
Last Edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by DaveT. Reason: correct typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: paul chong

What got you into caving ? Please all reply. 5 months 2 weeks ago #38124

If we arrange a female to come with you will you come ?:D

What got you into caving ? Please all reply. 5 months 2 weeks ago #38127

• mike leahy
  • Thank you received: 370
Stevekennedy wrote:
If we arrange a female to come with you will you come ?:D

Dave would do anything for a good woman, he'd do even more for a BAD woman.
:P :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: paul chong

What got you into caving ? Please all reply. 5 months 2 weeks ago #38129

Haha

What got you into caving ? Please all reply. 5 months 2 weeks ago #38130

• Tom Howard
  • Thank you received: 121
My Uncle is a Caver and got me into it. Some will know him on here, Nigel Dibben. From very early on I was able to explore the Alderley Edge Copper Mines with the DCC and then as a “holiday” went to Matienzo for the first time in 2004 (age 10) where we did some beginner trips. We then returned in 2007 and I don’t think I’ve missed a year since (this year could be the first year missed). My first UK cave was P8 in Derbyshire in 2007, again, with Nigel and DCC. From there I would be caving most weekends (mainly Derbyshire and Yorkshire) by jumping on a train straight after school - got some dodgy looks on the Sunday night travelling back covered in mud with stinking caving gear in a bag on the train!

I’ve got to say, I’m very glad that I was introduced to the sport because it is one of those with some of the most genuine people you could wish to meet. There are the odd few that try to spoil things but generally, those with the different mindset don’t tend to stick around too long.

Tom
The trees have ears, the hills have eyes. Trust no one... but the sheep.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sweetie

What got you into caving ? Please all reply. 5 months 2 weeks ago #38144

• paul chong
  • Thank you received: 7
I got into caving after being invited to see a small coal mine in Lancashire that had been kept accessible by a small group of people, it was absolutely fascinating for me and kind of lent itself to my interest in photography, as did sewers, culverts and storm drains, basically I just couldnt get enough of being underground.
After joining Dave Tysons Wirral Caving Group I discovered the joys of going to places so muddy and wet that a camera just was not practical and after WCG closed I moved over to UCET mainly because club night is hosted in a pub.;)
WCG
Last Edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by paul chong.

What got you into caving ? Please all reply. 5 months 2 weeks ago #38145

• Doug
  • Thank you received: 332
I was always fascinated by metal ores and minerals from a very early age, where they came from, how they got there, as it turns out every house I have ever lived in has been less than a quarter of a mile from a mine, mostly much closer, being a child in Halkyn when the mine was still open I would listen with amazement at the stories the miners used to tell of bottomless lakes, fish with no eyes and other nonsense and I was hooked, mines were of course just the beginning of a lifelong interest in anything below ground. :woohoo:
Mae bradwyr ymhobman

What got you into caving ? Please all reply. 5 months 1 week ago #38147

a long and totutous journey

a long time ago - in a galaxy far far away - i did lots of outdoor stuff - but didnt have ti,me or inclination for caving [ cos i thought it was shiite ] - why crawl about in filth when i could soar like an eagle on mountains

then i had an RTC , riding my bike - i basically went through a car window - outside > in

and ended up a bit fooked

having nothing to do - and insanity closing in - i got into photogrpaphy - and when the hospitasl i was beeing treated at -[ BRI ] closed - to move to a new site - i googled it to see what was happening to it - and found URBEX . hmm i can do that i decided - and did i ended up doing surface adentures @ old mine sites - and them met two blokes who invited me to have a look underground in a quarry - they lent me all kit except wellies

and it was bonkers - so i started mine explore - and got all my own gear - and built up to SRT so i could get down shafts and stopes and stuff

laters - 2 different blokes asked me what caving i did - while we was sat for a break

my response was - none - its crap dirty horrible holes

bollox - thegy said - why dont you come with us - next weekend - nice beginners cave

ok says me

trip turns out to be borrins mooor > alum pot [ top of dolly tubs ] via the long churns connections

that was bonkers - so i did more and 16 years on - hear i is

and thats all i has to say about that

ETA : - 16 years on is from my big RTC - i has been cave since 2009
Last Edit: 5 months 1 week ago by Andrew Farrow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: timwatts
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds