Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Long Churn - Aug 2012

Long Churn - Aug 2012 11 years 8 months ago #8571

• Mad-Dan
  • Awesome
  • Thank you received: 168
Visited with Mad-Dan Jnr (my son) and AndyJ (from CPC)

The trip was planned a couple of weeks ago, but as i've had quite a bad chest infection, and the recent weather has been pants i wasn't sure if it would happen or not.

the plan was to get my son to the bottom of the dolly tubs pitch and maybe down to the slab.

as my son has very limmited SRT experance, and no experance of SRT in a cave enviroment, we knew this could be a problem, but everyone has to start somewhere, as Long Churn is quite easy to get around, and has good quality bolting, we decided this would be a good starting point, the hope was he wouldn't be too tired when he got to the pitchs, and we knew there was enough bolts to safely double rig everything.

we rocked up to the cave at about half 11 and entered through upper long churn, descending into Dr Bannisters hand basin, while i have been here maybe 5 or 6 times, this is the most water i've seen flowing into it, it wasn't too bad, but the wettest i've seen it.

Andy quickly double rigged this, you can normally do it with just a handline, or with nothing if it's dry, but as this was a baby sitting trip, it was going to get all bells and whistles. He then volunteered to go down at the same time as my son, having him clipped to him, so wosrt case he could only drop maybe a foot, as Andy is one of less than i hand full of people i completely trust 100% i had no problem with this.

it went quite smoothly untill they got to the overhang, my son been a short arse struggled to reach the foot holes, so he had little choice than to go down with the water running directly onto him, he was drenched, we saw this as a posertive, as he was allready soaked, there would be no need to try and avoid the 2 pools further through the cave.

once they were safly down, i de-rigged the rope, re-rigged as a pull through and dropped down my self, we quickly headed off towards the dolly tubs, the 2 pools getting the full "jump in" treatment.

when we finally got to the top of the dolly tubs, andy again double rigged and clipped my son to him, i also stuck a safty line on him and belayed from the top, we felt that this was ample protection, they made short work of this and was down very quickly, i then de-rigged the second rope in the hope we could use it to get down to the slab. I decended the pitch and we stopped for a few moments for a picture.

walking out into Alum pot, we could see the weather had changed and it was starting to rain, been unsure how long it would take my son to ascend back up the pitch, we decided the best corse of action would be to head back now.

Andy went up first, rigging a safty line and dropping it back down, my son went next, clipping him on to the line, by this time the water was pouring down the pitch making it not very plesent, luckyly my lad was up it very quickly and i followed, everything was de-rigged and we headed out, we noticed that the water had rissen by a good 6 inchs, but we were nearly out, so not a problem.

getting out, it looked to of brightened up again, but you could see the rain comming down higher up in the hills, so we made the right choice.

over all it was a good day and we spent about 5 hours down there.

I have to say a huge thanks to AndyJ, as without him the trip couldn't of happened.

some pics, all pics are hand held using the flash, so pretty poor quality, but it gives an idea of the pitchs.

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Long Churn - Aug 2012 11 years 8 months ago #8573

• mike leahy
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 666
last photo say's it all dan.

looks like he had a good time

Long Churn - Aug 2012 11 years 8 months ago #8574

• JohnO
  • Thank you received: 12
Great Photos Mad-Dan what kit are you using ?

Why can't we have any nice clean caves like that, I want to go!

Long Churn - Aug 2012 11 years 8 months ago #8575

• Suboffender
  • Thank you received: 83
Great trip report.

Love Alum pot, scary as hell though when going down the pot on a rope rigged off the tree at the top. One of the few caves you can do with your light off!

Long Churn - Aug 2012 11 years 8 months ago #8576

• mike leahy
  • NOW ONLINE
JohnO wrote:
Great Photos Mad-Dan what kit are you using ?

Why can't we have any nice clean caves like that, I want to go!

yorkshire dear boy yorkshire
gods own caving county (sorry les i know you will dissagree)

Long Churn - Aug 2012 11 years 8 months ago #8577

• Mad-Dan
  • Awesome
Mike, he loved it, but yeh, after the 20m ish ascent and the soaking he got, he was worn out, plus we gave him the 40m rope to carry (cos i'm kind like that). it was a good day though, even i enjoyed it.

JohnO, it's just an old sony DSLR, an A200, the pics were all handheld though today using the built in flash

Long Churn - Aug 2012 11 years 8 months ago #8582

• mike leahy
  • NOW ONLINE
thats what i mean he looks shattered. but in a good way .
the grin on his face is priceless

Long Churn - Aug 2012 11 years 8 months ago #8584

• Ian
  • Thank you received: 1441
Great trip report Dan .... Great day out :)
Currently at rest in the Elephant's graveyard

Long Churn - Aug 2012 11 years 8 months ago #8586

• Mad-Dan
  • Awesome
could do with a couple of caperble SRT's if anyone fancies having a go at the dicon/alum cross over..

half go down dicon pot and half go down alum pot, and swap over in the sump, exiting from the the route the other half entered.

Long Churn - Aug 2012 11 years 8 months ago #8601

• mike leahy
  • NOW ONLINE
mad-dan wrote:
could do with a couple of caperble SRT's if anyone fancies having a go at the dicon/alum cross over..

half go down dicon pot and half go down alum pot, and swap over in the sump, exiting from the the route the other half entered.

we've been trying to arrange that trip all year.
but every time we got to inglesports there where
a shit load of poeeps going down alum pot, and i mean a shit load.
thats the only problem with alum , its so over rigged every man
and his dog use it for srt practice . the diccon pot bit is ok its just the other bit :dry: :dry: :dry: :dry: :dry:
but yes i would be up for it. great trip

Long Churn - Aug 2012 11 years 8 months ago #8609

• timwatts
  • Thank you received: 433
I can see some more yorkshire trips on the cards :-) - was just thinking - its been a few months now.. Mike, maybe we should have just ignored the talk in Inglesport and just gone for it anyway last time.

Johno - you DEFINITLY need to come along to yorkshire - how many times have i told you??? ;-) (that session on devils bridge or wherever else still stands if u want?)

Mad-Dan. Great stuff - That lads face says it all - you're obviously doing a smashin' job with that lad. Best trip report ever by far - its what its all about :-) Inspirational :-)

I bought Josh a childs full body harness when he was about 6 months old (much to sarahs dismay, ready for climbing and/or caving - He's 2 now and i just need him to grown a little more bit more!! ;-)
-
Tim Watts
Last Edit: 11 years 8 months ago by timwatts.

Long Churn - Aug 2012 11 years 8 months ago #8610

• Mad-Dan
  • Awesome
Mike, i've been down alum pot a few times, while the cave gets busy there arn't that many people who go down to the sump, it's normally trips bumbling around long churn, plus theres pleany of room to rig various ropes.

Tim, you wouldn't beleive the ear ache i get of SWMBO when i say i'm taking the lad out
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds