Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How far off sump 1 were we in OHA

How far off sump 1 were we in OHA 7 years 3 months ago #29828

• mark
  • Thank you received: 1
Trip date 17th Dec 2016

Firstly , what a cave, this is great trip. Been on the list for some time and better than a lots of caves in the Peak and Dales I have been in. So much interest in terms of how you have to move through cave.

1- Yes all the ropes are in place and looked fine to me, as I used them. Some of mallions looking rusty but just backed them up with crabs. Yes we did carry all our own rope in between to two of , now we know from the post and out visit, no need too.

2- So question from me. I would like to know how far we were from sump 1. We had to bail due to call out time. So how far did we get ?

Well through the breakdown chamber to head of 1st pitch, we went down here via a few change overs.
Then moved to next pitch ( this one had a free line down it and a large chunky rope with knots in. ) we went down here.
Next we went down a shortish pitch ( also in situ ab rope and another knotted handline ) and then really got into the mud.
Next slid down through the small hole with a hand line in place. Then off down the mud to the next pitch, this had a couple of change overs in.

That was us, we went no further. so from this point how far off sump one were we ?
Last Edit: 7 years 3 months ago by mark.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How far off sump 1 were we in OHA 7 years 3 months ago #29829

• madmicks
  • Access Officer
  • Thank you received: 613
you went he wrong way you turned left at the junction when you should have gone straight ahead down through
the boulders through a flat out sand crawl up a knotted rope, through the 15 ft canals to the head of a fissured pitch followed by another then down through the wormhole then down a muddy pitch then up the other
side along a high passage brings you yo sump 1, mick

How far off sump 1 were we in OHA 7 years 3 months ago #29830

• mark
Hi Mick

Thanks for taking the time to reply, but I have no idea what your referring to in your description What junction are you referring to ? as we went through the main sand crawl, followed by going up a knotted rope, then this lead to the what is referred to the canal in the guide ( either through the squeeze or through the duck ) then carried on to the low chamber with the boulders on the floor, over these then to the top of the first descending pitch.

Re:How far off sump 1 were we in OHA 7 years 3 months ago #29831

• timwatts
  • Thank you received: 433
Hi mark. You did go the right way. You were almost at the first sump. :-)
-
Tim Watts

Re:How far off sump 1 were we in OHA 7 years 3 months ago #29833

• mark
HI Tim, thanks for reply. Ref your reply on the other OHA thread I posted on ref ropes, yes your correct, this is a very good system. Any plans to go the whole way in 2017 and I would be keen.

One ? how much ground is there between the bottom of the ropes where we got to and sump 1

Between sump 1 and sump 2

Thanks

Mark

Re:How far off sump 1 were we in OHA 7 years 3 months ago #29837

• madmicks
  • Access Officer
  • Thank you received: 613
sorry Mark I did it get it wrong if you had climbed up the muddy slope from the bottom of that pitch
you would have come to a small high passage about 50ft long at the end is sump 1 you were about 100 ft away. mick

Re:How far off sump 1 were we in OHA 7 years 3 months ago #29839

• timwatts
  • Thank you received: 433
As mick says... Up the small slope from the bottom of the last pitch, you'd cone to a new red rope which takes you round a little traverse, over a rock lip over which is the siphon pipe (which drops down to drain into the pit below the traverse) follow the pipe forwards and after a few yards you'll be in the sump. Siphon pump is in a bag tied up by the highest point of the tube as you climb up and over. You go a couple of days before, to set the siphon going and then go back out. Two days later you go back to find sump one is empty enough to duck through. Then you take the pump forward and set sump 2 (only a few short mins further into the cave... Less than five). You sit and wait for sump two to drain. Its a LOT smaller than sump 1 by volume so only takes approx 20-40mins depending on how full it is to start with. Always mindfull that sump two drains back into sump 1 and fills it slightly behind you! Mike and i once timed ourselves from entrance lid to sump one and we did it in 58 mins... This was a trip on a thursday caving club night to get in to start the siphon and back out in time to get to the pub in prep for a weekend trip.

Will be doing another trip to the end and back in the spring i expect. If u fancy it.
-
Tim Watts
Last Edit: 7 years 3 months ago by timwatts.

Re:How far off sump 1 were we in OHA 7 years 3 months ago #29840

• mark
HI Mick

Thanks for the reply. really appreciate it.

Re:How far off sump 1 were we in OHA 7 years 3 months ago #29841

• mark
HI Tim

Well this is good to hear, that we were not far off sump one. Cheers for taking the time to reply. Sounds like for some reason I need to get to the end of this system. On another note, 58 mins !!!! that is good going, my body might be little worn out nowadays.
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds