Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Kia Ora!

Kia Ora! 4 years 1 month ago #37816

• iron3542
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi everyone!
Just thought I’d stick a little post up to introduce myself a little bit.
So I’m part of the CSCA and red rose caving clubs which I’ve only just started being able to get into property as I live in Hertfordshire but I love venturing underground and although caves are incredible I think there’s somthing particularly mesmerising in the construction of mines which I would love to delve into.

I was hoping for some advice on what would make a good novice mine?
I will be in North wales around the 9th for a few days and would love to get adventuring below ground with my friend as well as above ground if any one has any suggestions?

Apologies for the essay, can’t wait to hopefully meet some of you!

Kindest regards,
Emma
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike leahy

Kia Ora! 4 years 1 month ago #37817

• Ian
  • Thank you received: 1440
Hi Emma,

There are a good number of mines that you could visit ... approximately, where will you be staying in North Wales?

(then we can tell you what's on your doorstep)

:)

Ian
Currently at rest in the Elephant's graveyard

Kia Ora! 4 years 1 month ago #37818

• iron3542
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the reply! :) I’ll be staying around the snowdon area near Blaenau Ffestiniog.

Can’t wait to get underground :)

Kindest regards,

Emma

Kia Ora! 4 years 1 month ago #37819

• Ian
Blaenau Ffestiniog has some really cool slate mines;

Cwmorthin
Wrysgan
Rhosydd

There are more of course but they are great for a wander.

Cwmorthin is locked and you get a key from "Go Below" (www.go-below.co.uk/) You leave a £20 deposit which they will give back to you when you return the key.

Wrysgan and Rhosydd are both open and you can just wander in (Go Below have the lease for Wrysgan but no gates).

There are also a few smaller copper mines on the banks of Snowdon itself - Hadod-y-Porth is nice for a wander but it is wet (goes over wellies) and it is a little hike to get to it.

There is a nice copper mine (Drws-y-Coed) on the other side of Snowdon over by the Nantlle Ridge - that is very pretty but quite short.

There is also the Britannia Copper mine on Snowdon itself (the miners track takes you right to it). This is stoped and all the floors are missing - you go in the bottom entrance and wander around. It's very pretty but it is gated. Last time I looked the gate was open with no lock. I don't know if it still is. Water also goes over wellies at the entrance.

If you travel to Betws y Coed, there are several very pretty lead mines;

Parc Mine
Pandora Mine
Aberllyn Mine

All are accessible and all are good. Parc is the biggest but not the prettiest - access is easiest though (and it's dry apart from about 50 feet by the entrance)

Aberllyn is also dry but has collapsed on the 4th floor so you cannot descend below that - the entrance is also a real bugger to find. It is pretty thouggh.

Pandora is also pretty. Easy to get in but watch out for a false floor at the first main junction. Expect water over the knees for the first 200 feet too.

We are on facebook here;

www.facebook.com/groups/30320727365/

Have a peep at us there too.

If you want specific details of any of the above let me know and I can give you grid refs/directions. I am useless with Google and can't work out how to stick pins in images. If you Google the names of the mines I have given you - I think you will get the info to find the entrances. Come back to me with any questions too.

Also, depending on the date/day you want to actually go underground, I may be able to arrange someone to go with you ... possibly .... maybe ... ;)

Ian

Kia Ora! 4 years 1 month ago #37821

• iron3542
Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge!
If your free between the 9th-12th march and are up to take a few novices underground then that would be amazing! Of course I feel a pub visit may be nessesary after as thanks :)

Can’t wait to start exploring! Again thank you so much for this info, it’s really appreciated :)

Kindest regards,

Emma

Kia Ora! 4 years 1 month ago #37822

• mike leahy
  • Thank you received: 665
Hi Emma
Are you and your friend srt savvy

Kia Ora! 4 years 1 month ago #37823

• iron3542
Hi Mike,

I’ve done a few SRT trips and am fairly happy with it but just may need the odd pointer here and there and my mate used to be an arborist so he’s happy with rigging and rope work so SRT shouldn’t be a million miles off what he knows :)

Kindest regards,

Emma
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike leahy

Kia Ora! 4 years 1 month ago #37824

• DaveT
  • Thank you received: 147
I should be around on the 11th March if you want a trip into Parc Mine or Aberllyn. Parc has quite a bit to see and the trip all the way along level 2 to Cyffty will take a few hours, A bit wet in places and some 'interesting' sections to negotiate - belt and cowstails recommended...

Dave

Kia Ora! 4 years 1 month ago #37825

• Ian
There you go ... I knew someone would offer ;)

Kia Ora! 4 years 1 month ago #37826

• iron3542
You guys are amazing!
Dave the 11th sounds perfect and the mine sounds great too, always up for a bit of a challenge :)
Is there any way to send PM’s on this site or what would be the best way to contact you ?

Again thank you all so much! No doubt I’ll be posting again for another trip, maybe drag the partner along next time haha :)

Kindest regards,

Emma

Kia Ora! 4 years 1 month ago #37827

• DaveT
  • Thank you received: 147
iron3542 wrote:
You guys are amazing!
Dave the 11th sounds perfect and the mine sounds great too, always up for a bit of a challenge :)
Is there any way to send PM’s on this site or what would be the best way to contact you ?

Again thank you all so much! No doubt I’ll be posting again for another trip, maybe drag the partner along next time haha :)

Kindest regards,

Emma
dtyson at anduin . org . uk (needs fix-up of punctuation!)

Dave
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds