Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Olympus TG-5

Olympus TG-5 3 months 3 weeks ago #33355

This is probably going to be the last camera I will be buying for a while because this one has all the features for underground photography! The Olympus TG-5 is designed for low light and includes the Live Composite mode for which Olympus holds the patent. This will enable me to create pictures using light painting and see the result as I progress. This review appeared in last October's edition of Waterways World so the Olympus TG-5 is designed with the canal boater in mind as well as the caver so it will be ideal for me.

OlympusTG5.jpg
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Olympus TG-5 3 months 3 weeks ago #33356

• Doug
  • Thank you received: 206
Looks good, I could be tempted but ill see what yours is like first.
Mae bradwyr ymhobman
The following user(s) said Thank You: gingerlycolors

Olympus TG-5 3 months 3 weeks ago #33357

I could make it for this Thursday's trip but I need to be ready to go down to Snailbeach Mine in Shropshire straight after work on Saturday morning for the C.R.E.G. meeting. I also want to be taking my new boat out for a test cruise Thursday. I will be posting results from my camera at Snailbeach Mine on Facebook. My next trip with U.C.E.T. will be Thursday 7th June unless something crops up before then. I will be at Mendip CaveFest over the next Bank Holiday weekend and at N.A.M.H.O. at the begining of June, hope to see some U.C.E.T. members then.

Olympus TG-5 3 months 3 weeks ago #33358

• mike leahy
  • Thank you received: 272
don't go eating any beardy sausages whilst at cavefest :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Olympus TG-5 3 months 3 weeks ago #33359

• madmicks
  • Access Officer
  • Thank you received: 296
for £399 I would expect it to say I am peeing at 45 degrees at a temperature of 65c and theirs a spider on the back wall of the cave saying I am being pissed on again then its money well spent

Olympus TG-5 3 months 3 weeks ago #33360

mike leahy wrote:
don't go eating any beardy sausages whilst at cavefest :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Hopefully he won't be there! He's probably has had his 15 minutes of fame by now! :woohoo:
Last Edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by gingerlycolors.

Olympus TG-5 3 months 3 weeks ago #33361

• ILT
  • Thank you received: 20
The older version (Stylus TG-4) appeared to be the perfect camera for cave/mine usage:
compact
rugged
water resistant
live composite mode

Everyone has different requirements but the Stylus TG-4 certainly wasn't the ultimate cave photography camera in my opinion.
Battery life was abysmal (and even worse if you used live composite a lot)
rugged - not bad apart from the front bevel (which allowsd attachment of fish-eye and light guide accessories) falls off randomly allowing muck into the accessory connection area (doesn't affect water resistance)
live composite - not bad for star trails but far less use for light painting techniques were light is often overlapped (which leads to rapid over-exposure). You also need to use the rear screen at eye level which is often not easy in caves/mines.
Control of ISO settings is complicated and in some instances not possible
Buttons are badly designed for use with gloved hands (such as in water or caves?)
Problems with other modes also exist.

Nope, didn't replace my other cameras.....

So, Olympus brought out the Tough! TG-5. It addresses some of the above issues:
The bevel now has a positive lock so doesn't fall off (despite Olympus denying the old one was a problem)
Live composite - better control of ISO setting but still suffers rapid overexposure when light exposures are stacked (light onto dark is still fine so star trails work well). My conclusion, they haven't altered the stacking algorithyms (and they aren't adjustable like they are in software such as starstax)
Controls are more usable with gloved hands.
Underwater photos are more naturally coloured so they've obviously tweaked their jpeg converter a bit for that.
Low light performance is generally better (bigger pixels....not mega-miniscule!)(they say the video performance is better but I don't use that so have no idea if that's true)

Battery life is still dire

One thing I noticed before buying each of these was that almost every review online is just a rehash of the Olympus press pack with nothing in the way of unbiased detail on live composite despite that being a much promoted feature.

Nope, it's not replaced my other cameras either.

However, as a handy compact camera to keep in a pocket it's very capable and has replaced the TG-4.
Last Edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by ILT.

Olympus TG-5 3 months 3 weeks ago #33362

• ILT
  • Thank you received: 20
I should point out that Olympus do have software that allows you to remotely operate both the TG-4 and TG-5 from a smartphone (though few people use rugged smartphones). Recent incarnations of the software are not as good as older ones and want to keep talking to the Olympus information collection servers.

The software can to some extent remove the problem of being at eye-level with the display but dropping your smartphone in a wet and gritty environment might be an expensive experience.

(there are several quite good rugged , well specced, smartphones on the market which cost far less than iPoos and other such fashion accessories)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Doug, gingerlycolors
Time to create page: 0.058 seconds