Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Advice on North Wales Mines (and Caves) sought please

Advice on North Wales Mines (and Caves) sought please 2 years 9 months ago #39765

• Ian
  • Thank you received: 1440
I have received a message from a couple who are honeymooning on the Llyn Peninsula between the 2nd and 7th August this year.

They are experienced cavers and SRT competent.

Please can we offer them some suggestions, possible surveys and notes on rigging etc. that would be convenient for them (they asked for nothing too squeezy like the Mendips!)

Thanks,

Ian
Currently at rest in the Elephant's graveyard
Last Edit: 2 years 9 months ago by Ian.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike leahy

Advice on North Wales Mines (and Caves) sought please 2 years 9 months ago #39791

• Ian
  • Thank you received: 1440
I have suggested all the Blaenau Mines, Ystrad Einion, Minllyn, the gold mines around Dolgellau and Betws Garmon ...

They would also be very appreciative of a "guide" if someone was willing to meet at a mine (no caves over that way) and show them around between the 2nd August and 7th August ...

:)

Ian
Currently at rest in the Elephant's graveyard

Advice on North Wales Mines (and Caves) sought please 2 years 9 months ago #39792

• mike leahy
  • Thank you received: 665
Sounds right up Richards Street now he's retired

Advice on North Wales Mines (and Caves) sought please 2 years 9 months ago #39800

• Richard
  • Thank you received: 350
You 'volunteering' me again Mike? :lol:
Might have my nephew staying with us that week so can't say yes yet

Advice on North Wales Mines (and Caves) sought please 2 years 9 months ago #39804

• ILT
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 122
Llyn - Easy explore with pleasant walking around Nant Gadwen (not sure how extensive the first adit is as I've not dropped into the deeper part to see if it goes). Possibility for underground swim if that's their thing. No SRT except possibly to the opencast but most people seem to just put a handline round the sketchy hawthorn. Adits both sides of the valley. Some limited surface interest as well as remains on the rocks below. Nearby waterfall is noted on maps but I suspect that is more because they wanted to fill in some space.

Benallt/Rhiw - again pleasant walking with surface interest (if you like aerial ropeways, drum inlines, boilers etc...otherwise just some sheep and welsh cows). SRT required for underground but my visits to the area have always been non-SRT and there doesn't seem to be much info about the remains despite the mines being very extensively documented from 1900 onwards.

In a more general sense there is a LOT of interesting archaeology on the Llyn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ian
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds