Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Plan to revitalise Flintshire’s Milwr Tunnel....

Plan to revitalise Flintshire’s Milwr Tunnel.... 12 years 1 month ago #5323

• Suboffender
  • Thank you received: 83
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Plan to revitalise Flintshire’s Milwr Tunnel.... 12 years 1 month ago #5328

• Ian
  • Thank you received: 1440
Would JC say "Shoot the Councillor in front of his family" ?:blink:
Currently at rest in the Elephant's graveyard

Re: Plan to revitalise Flintshire’s Milwr Tunnel.... 12 years 1 month ago #5333

• Suboffender
  • Thank you received: 83
I really can't understand how these councillors make it into the newspapers. If all it takes to get a crazy idea into the newspaper is to be a councillor then I need to apply. I really would like to try and mine cheese from the moon.

Next thing there will be new and dangerous mine shafts opening up in Cilcain! :silly:

Re: Plan to revitalise Flintshire’s Milwr Tunnel.... 12 years 1 month ago #5354

What an idiot this councillor is. It really makes me worry when people so stupid are in positions of responsibility for our public services.

To create any useful power from water there must be considerable pressure. The water from the Milwr Tunnel is not under any pressure. It is a drain. If it was viable as a source of power then we could generate electricity from every drain. Even the tidal water flowing in and out of the Dee Eastuary would be a better source of power, but this power would be tiny and the cost of collection too great to be economic.

I had a futile debate with officers of Flintshire Council many years ago because they wanted to be seen to be running their vehicles on veg oil. But they only wanted to run the gritters on veg oil fuel. As I explained these are the most UNSUITABLE vehicle to test this form of fuel in.

Although I am new to the whole underworld of Flintshire, it is very clear to me that the Milwr Tunnel is the most fantastic asset both as a drain, and as means of access to the many mines and quarries under Halkyn Mountin. The intended function of this tunnel should be preserved and maintained. It would be wonderful if public access to the tunnel could be achieved in some way - ideally by train from the tunnel mouth, as a tourism venture, but also to allow official access to the more remote parts.
Last Edit: 12 years 1 month ago by JohnNicholson.

Re: Plan to revitalise Flintshire’s Milwr Tunnel.... 12 years 1 month ago #5367

• timwatts
  • Thank you received: 433
Agree completly, The tunnel is not different to a smallish stream - We may see it as carrying a lot of water but in power generation terms its next to nothing. To raise the head pressure it could be 'dammed' to flood the mine workings, raising the water table, refilling the natural caves in the area etc but this would not result in more volumetric flow - so the actual generating capacity would still be minimal. Also by flooding the system they would risk damaging the stuctural integrity of the tunnel itself and would struggle to maintain it.

If anything it would be better suited as a cyclic generation system. i.e. during times of low load the 'dam' could be closed in, raising the pressure as the system flooded, and then releasing it for a short period, high volume flow to generate power at times of peak demand.

However, ultimately i would suggest that the investment required to install, maintain and operate wouldn't pay back a profit and hence i don't think we've got anything to worry about.

An annoyingly stupid newspaper article written by people who don't have a clue, about an idea suggested by someone who is obviously a complete idiot. Typical of 99% of the bloody media :-/
-
Tim Watts

Re: Plan to revitalise Flintshire’s Milwr Tunnel.... 12 years 1 month ago #5368

• timwatts
  • Thank you received: 433
p.s. I'm getting bitter in my old age and am sick off suffering fools.
-
Tim Watts
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds