Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Random holes - Mid Wales

Random holes - Mid Wales 7 years 6 months ago #29484

Hi

If one stands with their back to Mallwyd Service Station (kinda East of Machynlleth, just of the A470 on the A458) you can see a series of fairly sizeable tips on the mountainside opposite..... any ideas? I have been previously told of a mine somewhere around here often used by Scouts and outdoor pursuitty types..

Dylife, I am told that if one stands with their back to the Star Inn at Dylife, off to the right is an adit chest deep water which "goes some way and climbs up out of the water".... I know that some of the UCET bunnies took a look around Dylife in the last year or so, did anyone push this one?

Corris, chatting to locals in the town about Aberlleffenni, a common theme emerges that there seems to be far more to the mine than is seen on the trips that UCET has done. Mark from Corris Mine Explorers says the same, but everyone is co about WHAT and how to reach it. Any ideas?

Finally, if one stands with their back to Murph...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Random holes - Mid Wales 7 years 6 months ago #29485

• Ant89
  • Thank you received: 243

Random holes - Mid Wales 7 years 6 months ago #29486

Ooh!

ON THE CASE, Ant!

Random holes - Mid Wales 7 years 6 months ago #29495

• Ian
  • Thank you received: 1440
Dylife has many adits ..... There is a small lead mine close and behind the Star Inn with coiled up fencing (passable) in the bottom entrance and an easy entrance higher up.

On the opposite side there are three adits and stupidly large shaft. The "main" is blocked after a couple hundred feet but someone was digging in there a few years ago.

On the other side of the "hill" (back of the mine) is a mostly hidden small adit entrance (pretty much covered by a bucket). When you go through it you slip into a large size adit (wide and deep) with water at least chest height. I decided not to go in as it was substantial and needed a dingy really (never got round to it). I think that was the drainage adit and would allow access to all the workings on the other side that the dig was heading at.

There was also a belly crawl entrance on the wrong aide which seemed to be heading no where.

Lastly, some Roman surface workings and a shaft further up.

There is a book on all of this called "Dylife" by Michael Brown.

;)

Ian
Currently at rest in the Elephant's graveyard
The following user(s) said Thank You: ivortheengine
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds