Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Grand Turk and the Secret passage

Grand Turk and the Secret passage 2 years 6 months ago #40432

• Stones
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 575
Just copied this from CPAT
Grand Turk at SJ26305170, where a chimney base and stonework remains of the winding engine house are hidden in the underegrowth.

Also been in that area today and came across two shafts. Pics 1&2 are the same shaft at sj26275168 and pic 3 is at Sj26345160
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike leahy, DaveT, Stevekennedy

Grand Turk and the Secret passage 2 years 6 months ago #40441

• LesW
  • Thank you received: 225
DaveT wrote:

Les, a few of questions.

On the route from Cabin shaft you head round the back of boundary shaft and along a convoluted route, which IIRC involves a short rope or ladder pitch and a squeeze through natural. You end up halfway up a massive stope with a long scaffold pipe to bridge the gap (complete with traverse protection ropes, cross this and then I think you follow round to the right to another stope with a rope heading diagonally upwards - probably about 30m. Do you recall going up this? I asked Dewi about it and he said it led to a dangerous collapse, but I was dubious as a lot of effort has been made in bolting the route.

So, it was a long time ago and I was there with Mike Smith and some Wessex. I don't recall the route, it is quite mazy, but I know our "guide" ended up back at Cabin Shaft, so we had to go around again.
I found the route to Grand Turk, but I do remember stepping across a stope to get in to the passage with a run in. I don't remember the details though. We dug through the run in to get to the chamber that led to the pitch down to the crawl into Grand Turk
DaveT wrote:
When the entrance was big dug from the inside was this vertical or horizontal and do you know if they were capping it? Was it close to the path that runs above the kiln or did you have to bash through trees/bramble. (The reason I ask is there are a lot of bumps and hollows around there and even a block search of a 200m x 200m square would take a while). I know its a big ask for you to try and remember the details from some time ago, but it would help limit the search. We could, of course, just maypole the shaft and work our way out - or I could retrace my original trip.

Having a entrance at this end would be really helpful in getting down to the diesel stopes as it avoids the long drag from cabin and also makes a nice through route for Grand Turk

Dave

The exit (because it was opened from the inside) was vertical, up through some mud and roots. Whilst we were down in Grand Turk those that stayed behind noticed a skeleton that one of our members (a vet) identified as a dog, this suggested that there must be an old entrance nearby. A look around identified what appeared to be a slope of earth that might have come down from above. Apparently they dug it away with their hands and more fell down, eventually they had opened a short shaft up against a rock edge, to a root and earth blockage. They inserted Mike Smith up into it upside down, and he kicked his way through the roots to make a hole out into the woods. They then sat in the chamber waited until we returned when they spoofed us that we had to return all the way to Cabin Shaft, through all the squalor of the run in that we had dug through. We were muddy and wet and lacking humour so were very pleased to discover they had managed to open an exit. We popped out in the woods and it was like the film, The Great Escape, as we came out of the "tunnel" one at a time.
I'm a very busy person
The following user(s) said Thank You: DaveT

Grand Turk and the Secret passage 2 years 6 months ago #40443

• DaveT
  • Thank you received: 155
Thanks LesW & Stones,

It sounds like it may be quite tricky to locate the shaft Les came up as its likely to collapse - but a potter around above the kiln with some string to mark areas covered may be worthwhile. I did have a wander around a while ago and came across the shaft (Marked Open Pit) covered with mesh as reported by Stones. I think this is too far away to link directly underground - but it would provide a useful data point mapping the old plan to the OS grid if it is definitively Grand Turk.

Mick phoned me up and explained in detail about the shaft he descended with Bob Sheppard - this is very close to the main path (old railway track) just to the right of the gate in a copse of trees. It is covered by a lid and probably leaves, soil whatever. It was a straight drop of about 80' and a passage leads to a rock bridge above the diesel stopes. I guess if we went down this we could work our way over and probably find the escape route used by Les. Once we know where the hole is I think we should get a bit of 500m twinwall tube and stabilise it - not sure NWCC would approve - but sod it :-)

Dave

Grand Turk and the Secret passage 2 years 6 months ago #40444

• LesW
Where I came out was subsequently "claimed" by NWCC and gated. Pretty sure it's still accessible
I'm a very busy person

Grand Turk and the Secret passage 2 years 6 months ago #40445

• DaveT
LesW wrote:
Where I came out was subsequently "claimed" by NWCC and gated. Pretty sure it's still accessible
Well if the upper area is that close to the surface I am sure UCET could dig a parallel shaft and claim that to avoid any issues - unless NWCC want to play the GCC games :-)

Dave

Grand Turk and the Secret passage 2 years 6 months ago #40447

• LesW
DaveT wrote:
LesW wrote:
Well if the upper area is that close to the surface I am sure UCET could dig a parallel shaft and claim that to avoid any issues - unless NWCC want to play the GCC games :-)

Dave

But you know NWCC own all of Minera... :whistle:
I'm a very busy person

Grand Turk and the Secret passage 2 years 6 months ago #40453

Me and Tom went down a shaft the other week about 100m to the left from g t and there was a dead dog at the bottom of that wonder if this is the same one. We crawled around some of the holes and went down one squeeze and we could definitely feel a draft.
There’s more planes in the sea than there are submarines in the sky

Grand Turk and the Secret passage 2 years 6 months ago #40454

• DaveT
Stevekennedy wrote:
Me and Tom went down a shaft the other week about 100m to the left from g t and there was a dead dog at the bottom of that wonder if this is the same one. We crawled around some of the holes and went down one squeeze and we could definitely feel a draft.
Do you mean 100m from the 'blue plastic pipe' entrance or the Grand Turk shaft mentioned by Stones...

Dave

Grand Turk and the Secret passage 2 years 6 months ago #40465

I have dug some but it’s 600mm

Grand Turk and the Secret passage 2 years 6 months ago #40466

No. It’s concrete capped but has a triangle hole in the top. It’s about 60 feet I think.
I don’t have any pictures of the top.

Grand Turk and the Secret passage 2 years 6 months ago #40473

• Stones
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 575
Stevekennedy wrote:
No. It’s concrete capped but has a triangle hole in the top. It’s about 60 feet I think.

Here's some pictures of it
Attachments:

Grand Turk and the Secret passage 2 years 6 months ago #40474

• DaveT
Stones wrote:
Stevekennedy wrote:

Here's some pictures of it
Thanks for that. I think this is footway shaft - I don't think it connects anywhere interesting without some digging and there are more interesting areas to dig in Minera :lol:

Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stones

Grand Turk and the Secret passage 11 months 3 weeks ago #45120

Hi, Been reading the treads on this topic. Me and my brother are the ones who put the ladder up the shaft at the end of the Grand Turk passage. Loss my bottle to go any further up as had no protection at the time.It was quite a while before we returned and by that time someone had climbed it and put a rope down. We went up and had a hour digging the end of the passage, plenty of rocks falling down this rift passage. We went some months later and the rope had gone. Also did a through trip from Cabin Shaft to the Bear Pit entrance before it was dug out and it had branches across. Been down the Shaft with the dog down this weekend. Did you come across the streamway with the small white waterfall in? Got some photos of the passage where the white water fall is. We climb the rope climbs at the end of the white vain some years ago and it leads to a horrible boulder choke. My brother heard it joined to the mine passage at the end of the Grand Turk passage we were digging in but not to sure if it does.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds