Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Cwmorthin 6/10/13

Cwmorthin 6/10/13 10 years 5 months ago #20270

• Ant89
  • Thank you received: 243
This trip consisted of me, Robin(Sweetie) Ian and Tony Adams plus one guest. Hamilton plus one guest, Ali and Corin.

Not knowing Cwmorthin being my 1st visit, I May get a few details wrong.

Arriving at the cafe after Sweetie we had breakfast. it had gone 10 by the time we left as a small number of us had not finished eating, and I stole Ian's toast having only had sausage and egg on toast when he had ate a full English breakfast as he tried to convince Ali that she needed a wetsuit as we were going through the sump. She soon realized this was a fib of.
Finally setting off and arriving at the "car park we kitted up Rob in harness and cowstails, much to Ian's bemusement. as we got past the gardens and the now precarious bridge which is unlikely to survive the winter we were caught up by an individual in full caving gear. It was Corin on his way to fix his waterwheel. I never caught the explanation behind the problem (but according to Ian's comment below "it was bust" .

Having made the entrance Corin went off to fix his prized possession as Ian took us down the "stairs of minor peril" to much calling of "Don't fall over" lucky no one did. going a little further down we then proceeded to cross the bridge of "have I got to go over that?" Some of us were lead by Ian over the alternative route, including myself. where we met the bridge team at the back vein incline and down we went. stopping off here and there to see the sites. including the famous Cwmorthin toilet.

At some point we came to a wet adit, but thanks to the "pipe of trepidation" and the associated "chain of panic" we negotiated the knee deep water with ease. We proceeded to meander along the passagways admiring the minerals on the walls in places before we came across Corin and his fabled water wheel. Having walked up to the sump, at which point Ian teased ali by saying "See, there is a sump" we went to the start of the out of bounds Oakley workings and the "in search of "new" vein adit" before going to the compressor chamber for a bite to eat. under the flickering of Corin's lights and to the discussion of the difference between a capacitor and a battery.

Soon Corin turned up and headed out with us. We ascended via the rear of the compressor chamber. and came to the "alloy ladder climb of great trepidation" but we all made it down without issue. We were now somewhere in the old vein. Following Corin who, on many occasions said that he was not entirely sure of the route we made our way around up some steps, and round corners and to the top of a hole that lead to the other side of the "sump" Eventually arriving at the old vein incline we slithered up and after more weaving through tunnels arrived back at the entrance.
Last Edit: 10 years 5 months ago by Ant89.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sweetie

Cwmorthin 6/10/13 10 years 5 months ago #20273

• Ian
  • Thank you received: 1436
Ant89 wrote:
...It was Corin on his way to fix his waterwheel. I never caught the explanation behind the problem.

..... It was bust :huh:
Currently at rest in the Elephant's graveyard
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds