Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Inside the Great Orme (Penmorfa Adit)

Inside the Great Orme (Penmorfa Adit) 9 years 11 months ago #22773

• Ian
  • Thank you received: 1440
Inside the Great Orme

Trip Report – Penmorfa Workings 27th April 2014

I arrived 45 minutes early at the West shore of Llandudno only to find Richard T and Andy F were already in situ sporting their caving gear. Un-phased I proceeded to capture a number of pointless video clips to fill the opening sequence of the inevitable video that appears on youtube after such a trip.

Shortly Dylan arrived and, almost late, Tony and Vikki.

Whilst waiting for Tony & Vikki, we noticed three cavers on the other side of the road a little distance away and I decided to approach believing them to be GOES. Richard and Andy ventured across too. As I approached, the first chap turned to look at me and said “oh, it’s you”.

I knew there and then we were in for a good trip !

I offered my hand (which he (Brian) accepted) and I said “howdo, I’m Ian” – to which he replied “Yes, we know who you are”.

I again felt all warm am fuzzy inside. The other “leader” was “Steve”, one of the two members both Evan and I had been emailing to arrange a trip with. I reminded him of this and with a friendly grin he announced “I haven’t been in here for years”. More warm and fuzzy sensations imbued me. I asked if Gareth was coming (the Secretary) and I recalled meeting him at Cae Coch Sulphur mine previously where I had leaned on him for a trip. Brian also recalled the “meeting” announcing he was present at that time and, yet again, a warm fuzzy glow filled me.

Interestingly, both Brian and Steve had what appeared to be modified skateboards on wheels. Upon enquiring, we were advised that the entry was a 120 metre “pipe” which they would navigate by laying on the skateboard and propelling themselves along. A very handy piece of kit is you happened to know to bring one …..

We entered the “pipe” and having dredged the 120 metres with our noses in water and wrists mostly shattered, we discovered waist deep water and a boat. We volunteered Andy to pull the boat while the rest of us relaxed in the boat – well, I think we were all in but I can’t recall the GOES members actually being in the boat. Oh well, I guess we couldn’t fit everyone in.

Once inside and at the first junction along the adit (some considerable distance) we dumped our bags (I didn’t dump mine) and we headed in for adventure.

We were treated to an abundance of mineral deposits, formations, exposed geodes, crystal vugs, crystal grotto’s of unknown mineral, copper sulphate waterfalls and formations of greater beauty. The passageways seemed random and ad-hoc that the labyrinth was almost unworkable. It certainly seemed the case that “Steve” (who has said he had not been in for years) was truthful as he led us several times to places where we made a U turn at Brian’s suggestion.

After an age of climbing short knotted ropes, dicing with holes of infinite depth and scrambling around, it was announced we should stop for lunch. I immediately agreed, sat down and began my lunch to the dismay of everyone else who had not brought their bags. A negotiation began for the release of one of my sandwiches to be eventually won by Andy who bidded a “piggy back” across deep water later on. This “piggy back” never manifested but it didn’t matter, from the dreary sad and “lost” look on his face when he pleaded for the sandwich – I would have given it to him anyway.

Making a spiral ascent within the Great Orme, we found a few (rare) azurite nodules as well as three original candles and some original artefacts. The journey down was as treacherous as the journey up with the holes of infinite depth looking ever more menacing.

At the bottom, we headed further into the mine and to some waist deep water. Initially, Vikki sat firm determined not to get wet but having filled the trip with Vikki lines, we forced her to press on.

I cannot remember all the Vikki lines but, not verbatim, here are some …

“Look, I’ve got my finger in a muddy hole” (Andy said “that’s not mud”)
“Sit on that stick”
“Andy is going to pull us all off”
“It’s not always bad from behind”
“I don’t mind going on top”

… and a whole host of others that I can’t remember (and the ones above won’t be accurate because I was much too busy laughing and having a good time).

As we headed back there was a race – it was known that there were two modified skateboards at the pipe entrance (which is a wrist killer) and we figured the leaders no longer “needed” them. Andy pulled the boat back (what a hero) and we exited through the pipe.

On arrival at the light we re-grouped and whilst stood in a circular fashion thanking our hosts, Andy decided to fart. The fart was long, deep and resonant. His wetsuit was the perfect acoustic to enhance the fart which both rumbled with deep notes and persisted for a long time. We remained stunned and silent throughout the event and, once finished (Andy’s face remained totally expressionless throughout), we continued with our thanks.

Vikki kindly offered to take the GOES wherever they wanted to go and within a split second Brian announced he would like to go to Minera – I would expect Tony to be organising a trip there shortly lol.

Many thanks must go to Richard for organising the trip and to the GOES for leading us around.

Of course, there is a video;

Currently at rest in the Elephant's graveyard
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike leahy, Richard, Sweetie, WelshSossy

Inside the Great Orme (Penmorfa Adit) 9 years 11 months ago #22775

• mike leahy
  • Thank you received: 665
great trip report ian, and of course a cool vid. well done and when are we back in there

Inside the Great Orme (Penmorfa Adit) 9 years 11 months ago #22776

• WelshSossy
  • Virtual Caver
  • Thank you received: 329
Ian wrote:
On arrival at the light we re-grouped and whilst stood in a circular fashion thanking our hosts, Andy decided to fart. The fart was long, deep and resonant. His wetsuit was the perfect acoustic to enhance the fart which both rumbled with deep notes and persisted for a long time. We remained stunned and silent throughout the event and, once finished (Andy’s face remained totally expressionless throughout), we continued with our thanks.

Can't stop laughing :lol:

Fantastic trip report Ian, and a thoroughly enjoyable trip. Big thanks to Richard and G.O.E.S.
United Cavers Exploration Team
Last Edit: 9 years 11 months ago by WelshSossy.

Inside the Great Orme (Penmorfa Adit) 9 years 11 months ago #22777

• timwatts
  • Thank you received: 433
hahahaha - andys wetsuit farts are legendary! I can picture both your and his faces perfects.

brilliant stuff.

literally lol'ing reading this!
-
Tim Watts

Inside the Great Orme (Penmorfa Adit) 9 years 11 months ago #22787

• Richard
  • Thank you received: 350
Great trip report and video :cheer:
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds