Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Knowlege bank map

Knowlege bank map 11 years 1 week ago #16532

• Ant89
  • Thank you received: 243
To pass the time I've just been adding the sites from the public knowledge bank into Bing maps, which has OS maps. Only sites listed in this knowledge bank are on the map.

map

Attachment UCETknowlegebank.zip not found

Last Edit: 11 years 4 days ago by Ant89.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike leahy, JohnO, Iain

Knowlege bank map 11 years 1 week ago #16535

• mike leahy
  • Thank you received: 665
good work ant ;) ;)

Knowlege bank map 11 years 1 week ago #16536

• NewStuff
  • Yeah, not liking that...
  • Thank you received: 43
Nice work.

Is there enough demand for a .KMZ version for Google Earth? I'll volunteer for it, as long as someone can do the godawful OS Gridref to proper Lat&Long coordinates conversion. It'll take some time, but I could also merge my own decent set of .KMZ's.
You want me to go down *there*? On a bloody *rope*?

Knowlege bank map 11 years 1 week ago #16540

• Ant89
NewStuff wrote:
Nice work.

Is there enough demand for a .KMZ version for Google Earth? I'll volunteer for it, as long as someone can do the godawful OS Gridref to proper Lat&Long coordinates conversion. It'll take some time, but I could also merge my own decent set of .KMZ's.

I'm using www.Nearby.org.uk to convert the given coordinates to Lat/long. In regards to a .KMZ version That will not be difficult probably best waiting until the basic map is complete though at a guess?
Last Edit: 11 years 1 week ago by Ant89.

Knowlege bank map 11 years 1 week ago #16546

• NewStuff
  • Yeah, not liking that...
  • Thank you received: 43
Ant89 wrote:
NewStuff wrote:
Nice work.

I'm using www.Nearby.org.uk to convert the given coordinates to Lat/long. In regards to a .KMZ version That will not be difficult probably best waiting until the basic map is complete though at a guess?

Unlikely it ever will be, lol. If you want my .kmz, just yell, and I'll sort something out.
You want me to go down *there*? On a bloody *rope*?

Knowlege bank map 11 years 1 week ago #16547

i already has " a lot of crap " in GE format - pluss i can do OS NGR > lat / long very easily - as i have garmin GPS mapping -on comp that allows entry of NGRS directly to computer - and then export the data to GE format - simples

Knowlege bank map 11 years 1 week ago #16549

• Ant89
NewStuff wrote:
Ant89 wrote:
NewStuff wrote:
Nice work.

Unlikely it ever will be, lol. If you want my .kmz, just yell, and I'll sort something out.

A definitive map of mines and caves it will never be. Think of it more of a reference map to show the locations of the sites in the knowledge bank, Which does mean it should be complete sometime next week.

Knowlege bank map 11 years 1 week ago #16551

• Tom Howard
  • Thank you received: 325
Just whilst you're on topic, we have a feature on our website for our trip logs (www.derbyscc.org.uk/album/album_view_map.php) Pretty much like you're doing.

I also read on here recently about a few members interested in getting in to the art of surveying. So, with true dedication, you could produce something along the lines of this. (www.geography.lancs.ac.uk/matienzo/matienzo-map-25m-130130.pdf) - For this you will need to zoom right in for it to make a little sense - pink is cave centre line, black is track and blue is water.
I have something on my phone called Orux maps with GPS co-ordinates in for the entrances and then when you zoom in you can search detail and see the survey overlayed. Handy for walking the hillsides wondering if a hole is already known as you have GPS tracking on so it monitors your track and position :)

Tom (TLH)

After-note: Did you enter all data singly or as a group? I'm bored of typing numbers :P
The trees have ears, the hills have eyes. Trust no one... but the sheep.
Last Edit: 11 years 1 week ago by Tom Howard. Reason: Forgot to ask something :O

Knowlege bank map 11 years 5 days ago #16828

• Ant89
I think that is all sites added.

Tom Everything is copy and pasted. Time consuming but now it's done it's not too hard to add new ones as they appear. Not sure about going into any more detail with the maps than just approx locations.
The following user(s) said Thank You: madmicks

Knowlege bank map 11 years 5 days ago #16835

• Mad-Dan
  • Awesome
  • Thank you received: 168
at the risk of sounding like an arse, either the original OS ref's, or the long lat conversions are wrong.

i only looked at 9 and 10 (cabin and grand turk) and the shafts are not where that map says they are.

Knowlege bank map 11 years 5 days ago #16838

• Ant89
Mad-Dan wrote:
at the risk of sounding like an arse, either the original OS ref's, or the long lat conversions are wrong.

i only looked at 9 and 10 (cabin and grand turk) and the shafts are not where that map says they are.

That is why the description on the map saying accuracy of the map is not guaranteed.

Most likely the it is the origanal grid ref's that are incorrect or in some cases approximate. As I did notice that some sites seem to be right on the "mine" or "levels" marked on the OS map wheras others appeared to be some distance away. I did find a couple of sites where the grid ref was out by miles (labeled as SH rather than SJ which put them in the Irish sea!)

Knowlege bank map 11 years 5 days ago #16842

• Tom Howard
Ahh ok, I suppose now it's all in it won't be too difficult to just keep updating it :)

Knowlege bank map 11 years 5 days ago #16844

• Tom Howard
Have been having a little bit of a play tonight, on the basis of what you're doing with the bing maps.
I have been gathering data recently of updated GPS readings, descriptions and photo's of the caves, mines and sinks on Minera mountain and the surrounding area. The data that has been put onto the linked map is some I took from the UCET knowledge bank for an example and to see if it would work.
There are 59 entries so far and does the same as your bing maps does (see below).

mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zy5AL-oT859g.kl1GTktgJM0U

I'm not trying to better anything here, but for some reason I can't sync Bing maps with my phone to see the plots out and about. By using google however, it allows for you to sync the labels to your memory and your GPS will take you there or, like a GPS device, will tell you when you're about to approach something already on the system - I'll screenshot this later.
Also, if anybody wants the newly collected co-ordinates for the Minera mountain and other places i've taken a GPS you're welcome to it - i've found many being miles out and descriptions in the recent years from Caves of North Wales are now outdated due to digging and natural changes.

I either need a girlfriend, or need to sort my life out! It's Saturday night!
Tom
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike leahy, Sweetie

Knowlege bank map 11 years 4 days ago #16846

• Ant89
Tom, I get an error on that link

"We're sorry, but you do not have access to this page. That’s all we know."

looks like it's the privacy settings of that map.

I've loaded a GPX file of the knowlege bank to the 1st post so the site locations are downloadable.

As for all those Errors, I'll try to go through them to correct them if possible.
Last Edit: 11 years 4 days ago by Ant89.
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds