Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Erm... Hi, I guess.

Erm... Hi, I guess. 8 years 6 months ago #5094

• NewStuff
  • Yeah, not liking that...
  • Thank you received: 43
I suppose I'd better pop a few things down here, introduce myself.

I'm Ali (Usually NewStuff on a Forum). I'm pretty much into Mines, though I do venture into the odd abandoned Asylum too. I've yet to get into a cave, purely because no-one has managed to muster the required powers of persuasion to get me into something even tighter, wetter and crawlier than a Lead mine!

I have a few issues with heights (As some of you may have seen at Belgrave), but am slowly getting better. Strangely, once I'm on a rope, I'm pretty good, but it's *getting* on the rope that is the problem so far. I do some SRT, though I should be on another training session soon, just to smooth out a few kinks in my technique. At some point, I want to drop Titan,

I work pretty much permanent weekends, and have a small offspring to look after on my days off, so my trips out are usually limited to Weekdays unless I have Holiday time booked.

I met some of you on last weeks trip to Belgrave, but apart from a few, I'll struggle to put Names to Faces for a bit, but I'll get there.
You want me to go down *there*? On a bloody *rope*?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Erm... Hi, I guess. 8 years 6 months ago #5095

• timwatts
  • Thank you received: 393
Hi and welcome! Are you going to be able to Join us at Bog Mine this Thursday? Same meeting point (layby) - full details in the Trips and Events!

Titans not a problem - let us know when you think you're ready and we'll get another trip sorted. Although 'big' its a simple 2 pitches with a hanging rebelay. Rest of the trips a walk in the park although I fancy doing some alternative routes next time :-)
-
Tim Watts

Re: Erm... Hi, I guess. 8 years 6 months ago #5098

• Suboffender
  • Thank you received: 83
Hello again mate,

Can relate to your fear of heights, I was the same when I first started out. All I can say is that with every SRT pitch that you do, the easier it gets. Just takes time.

Look forward to seeing you again on Thursday :)

Re: Erm... Hi, I guess. 8 years 6 months ago #5101

• NewStuff
The heights issue is actually damn frustrating. I used to be absolutely fine with them, I climbed Cliff faces for a laugh as a kid (The Little and Great Ormes further up the coast, nothing considered proper free climbing as I now know). Trouble is, after getting stuck on one in a Quarry for several hours, I developed what I have now. I *know* I can do it (And have done it in the past), it's just a matter of convincing myself to get on the rope, and the legs to not turn to jelly while I get on it. Once on the rope, I'm not bad unless I get krab jump. When that happens, watch out below, and I'll need to change pants at the bottom of the pitch.

As for Titan, since I first clapped eyes on it (Well, just after I realised what I was looking at, and that the little orange blob was indeed a person on a rope), has been my Goal. If I can do that, the fear is, if not conquered, then at least well managed.

That said, a picture of Rumbling Falls "Rumble Chamber" has possibly set a new, albeit very long term, Goal. I assume you all know what that one is. Most cave pictures leave me thinking "why?" but those ones preclude the asking of the question in the first place.

Re: Erm... Hi, I guess. 8 years 6 months ago #5104

• mike leahy
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 370
you should pop down north henblas a few times at least before you even consider a pitch like titan.

Re: Erm... Hi, I guess. 8 years 6 months ago #5106

• Ian
  • Thank you received: 811
Looking forward to meeting you on Thurs :)

Ian
A door, once opened, may be stepped through in either direction

Re: Erm... Hi, I guess. 8 years 6 months ago #5107

• Suboffender
  • Thank you received: 83
NewStuff wrote:
The heights issue is actually damn frustrating. I used to be absolutely fine with them, I climbed Cliff faces for a laugh as a kid (The Little and Great Ormes further up the coast, nothing considered proper free climbing as I now know).

I developed my fear of heights in a similar way. About five years ago, I managed to get myself stuck on a rope on a big pitch and fall into a waterfall. By the time that I managed to get myself off the rope I had gone into shock from the cold and it took my friends a long time to get me out of the mine. I couldn't go underground for a month. Before that experience I had no problem with heights. It's difficult, but keep perceiving and it can be overcome. That said, I still have some problems today, but I trust the ropes and myself totally.

Re: Erm... Hi, I guess. 8 years 6 months ago #5108

• NewStuff
mike leahy wrote:
you should pop down north henblas a few times at least before you even consider a pitch like titan.

That's Firmly on my To-do list in a high position.
Ian wrote:
Looking forward to meeting you on Thurs :)

Ian

The man behind the Goblin Videos I suspect.
It will be nice to meet everyone.
Before that experience I had no problem with heights. It's difficult, but keep perceiving and it can be overcome. That said, I still have some problems today, but I
trust the ropes and myself totally.

I'm hoping not to do any falling off!

In a weird way, it's sort of nice to know that I'm not the only one out there to get a fear this way, as everyone I do know with this (Very few to the degree I used to be), has always had it. That said, I wouldn't wish it on anyone that does Exploring, it so limiting.

Re: Erm... Hi, I guess. 8 years 6 months ago #5110

• timwatts
  • Thank you received: 393
Anyone who doesn't approach the head of a pitch with a feeling of apprehension is f'ing stupid in my opinion!
-
Tim Watts

Re: Erm... Hi, I guess. 8 years 6 months ago #5115

• Corin
  • Thank you received: 1
mike leahy wrote:

Listen to Uncle, wise words.....................
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds