Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hello from Sunny Rhyl

Hello from Sunny Rhyl 7 years 4 months ago #14183

• WelshSossy
  • Virtual Caver
  • Thank you received: 326
Hello everyone,

I have been watching a few of Ian's youtube video's recently after taking my kids to the local Fish Caves in Prestatyn. Despite the mine being very small and an easy walk-through we all really enjoyed it.

I came across Ian's Fish Cave video's and also some other fantastic caves/mines and we would really like to take caving seriously, and after watching this forum from the background this past week or 2, your club looks like a great place for us start.

Myself and my 2 daughters (aged 15 & 17) are pretty much willing to give anything a go, but my partner is a little bit nervous, but is willing to give it a go, so we would very much like to join you on your next 'beginner/easy' trip.
United Cavers Exploration Team
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hello from Sunny Rhyl 7 years 4 months ago #14184

• Mad-Dan
  • Awesome
  • Thank you received: 167
Welcome to the forum!

There are trips organised for most weekends and most thursday nights, unfortunatly as a none member you cant see these as they are posted in an area of the forum only visable to full members.

This does not mean that you are not welcome to join one of the trips, and as you've shown interest, i'm sure someone will keep you posted of the details of any novis trip that is organised.

Please enjoy your stay and i look forward to meeting you on a trip soon.

Dan
The following user(s) said Thank You: WelshSossy

Hello from Sunny Rhyl 7 years 4 months ago #14185

• WelshSossy
  • Virtual Caver
Hi Dan, thanks for the welcome.

I'm am off work most Sundays, and I notice that the Thursday trips start at around 8pm, so I should be able to sort my shifts in work so I can make most Thursdays too.

Hello from Sunny Rhyl 7 years 4 months ago #14186

• Mad-Dan
  • Awesome
  • Thank you received: 167
Thursday trips normally start at around 6.30pm, which is why i dont make many of them, living in manchester and working till 5.30pm makes it near impossable for me to get to them.

Weekend trips tend to flip-flop from saturday to sunday, i'm quite active at weekends, i try to get out most weekends and i work every second saturday, so i do saturday one week and sunday the next.

allways happy for people to join us, and most of the trips i go on are club trips anyway.

the current list of trips is a bit random, we currently have SRT training going on for some members, and we have a couple of basic SRT trips organised to give these members some actual underground experance, but i'm sure we can put something togeather suitable for you to attend.

Hello from Sunny Rhyl 7 years 4 months ago #14187

I also go out with my daughter Bella every other weekend. Bella is 15 and has now been cave and mine exploring for 18 months. She absolutely loves it!

This Saturday we plan to do Ogof Hesp Alyn - which is not a beginners trip.

We will be doing Poachers cave again soon, and this is a very good first cave experience. You may not see all the forum topics but I can post you an invitation by email if you send an e-mail to me at
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

John Nicholson

Hello from Sunny Rhyl 7 years 4 months ago #14190

• WelshSossy
  • Virtual Caver
Hello John

I'm unavailable these next 2 weekends (Birthday Bash and Ghost Hunting at Alton Towers). Poachers Cave does indeed look very exciting. I know me and my girls would love that. I will send you an email now John.

Hello from Sunny Rhyl 7 years 4 months ago #14191

• Ian
  • Thank you received: 801
Hi Welshsossy,

(Interesting name ;) )

Welcome to the forum .... as already iterated you will be very welcome to come on any of our trips (some easier than others).

I see John has suggested Poachers cave which is excellent as a starting point - there is a link to a video of it in the video section of the forum. It is not like the Fish mine though (which is a mine). The cave is wet, muddy and requires you to crawl in places - quite different from the fish mine.

We can arrange a trip through a "mine" which would be like Fish mine but on a much grander scale (I am thinking about your partner) which is in Blaenau Ffestiniog or we can arrange a trip though a more local mine with big passages although has a lot of ladders ....

Lots of options and as John says, we can keep you appraised of trips and you are welcome to come with us.

You can also come with us without being a member for 3 trips or 17 days as the club insurance will cover you during that period. (see if you like it and persuade your partner :) )

Ask any questions you like and, most of all, always have fun !

:) :) :)

Ian
A door, once opened, may be stepped through in either direction

Hello from Sunny Rhyl 7 years 4 months ago #14197

• WelshSossy
  • Virtual Caver
Hi Ian, my name is Tony btw (I should have stated that earlier, oops)

I've been watching loads of your video's this past week. Great work btw! :)

Poacher's does look a great cave, me and the girls would be up for that. Me and the girls would give anything a go, it would just be the technical aspect that would be the deciding factor. My partner on the otherhand is a bit of a scared-e-cat so I think something pretty easy would be best for her to start and for you guys to assess best plan of action. She does want to try and push herself but I think you'd need to see how she went with an easy one first.

Am I right in thinking the one with a lot of ladders is Hendre Spar Mine?

I would like to buy some equipment etc but will take advice from you as to what is best to buy and best retailers etc.

We love exploring and going on little adventures so caving will be right up our street, and certainly looks like a LOT of fun. It's something I've always fancied doing but just never got round to actually going about doing it.

Tony

Hello from Sunny Rhyl 7 years 4 months ago #14199

• Ian
Hi Tony,

Yes, you are right about Hendre Spar Mine ;)

Don't buy any equipment just yet ... the best things you need are "wellies" which you probably already have.

Expect to get wet and muddy on any trip (bonus if you don't)....

Is your partner likely to be more amenable to "ladders" (and a relatively dry event) or a single ladder but a "wet and muddy" event ?

:blink:

Ian
Last Edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Ian.

Hello from Sunny Rhyl 7 years 4 months ago #14200

• WelshSossy
  • Virtual Caver
I'll hang fire on equipment then. Yes wellies we have, they practically live in the back of the car.

I'll check with Debz (partner) tomorrow as to what she would prefer to do.

Tony

Hello from Sunny Rhyl 7 years 4 months ago #14205

• WelshSossy
  • Virtual Caver
Hello again.

Yes she says ok with the ladders, so whenever the Spar Mine comes up she's up for that one. God help you ;-)

Tony

Hello from Sunny Rhyl 7 years 4 months ago #14206

• timwatts
  • Thank you received: 393
Hi Sossy! - Warm welcome to the forum! Ian's already doing a great job of sorting you a first trip, but just wanted to say hello! :-) Anything you need help with just shout!
-
Tim Watts

Hello from Sunny Rhyl 7 years 4 months ago #14211

• WelshSossy
  • Virtual Caver
Hi Tim,

Thanks for the welcome. This really is a very friendly and welcoming club. :-)

What clothing is best to wear?

Hello from Sunny Rhyl 7 years 4 months ago #14212

• Iestyn999
  • Polyprop Bob
  • Thank you received: 59
Welcome to the forum! I joined christmas time and only ordered a caving suit last night. Until now I've been getting on ok with wellies and overalls. To be honest you could get round hendre spar mine in your sunday bests! UCET are a great bunch and made me feel very welcome,. I look forward to seeing you guys out on a trip :cheer:
oh, what fresh hell is this?

Hello from Sunny Rhyl 7 years 4 months ago #14213

• Ian
WelshSossy wrote:

What clothing is best to wear?

A long and moot question with many answers/opinions.

Are you up for doing the Spar mine in Hendre this coming Thursday ? If so, you would be best with Wellies and warm clothing. Expect to get muddy so have something to change into afterwards or wear "overalls" over the top of your clothing to keep your clothes clean.

"Other" trips, I would suggest a different approach but it's good to start with the easy stuff ;)

Ian

Hello from Sunny Rhyl 7 years 4 months ago #14214

• Sweetie
  • Don't like ladders, ropes, getting wet or the dark!
  • Thank you received: 382
Hi WelshSossy / Tony,

I'm Sweetie / Rob. Welcome to the forum. As Ian says it's very much a personal preference as to what is best to wear, I prefer a thermal base layer (9.99 from Aldi when on offer) and a pair of B&Q's finest overalls & wellies, I find that combo less restrictive and keeps me warm enough. I'm a fairly new member and I love Hendre Spar mine. It was my 1st underground adventure with UCET. UCET are a fantastic bunch of people who you'll learn a great deal from.

We're a very active club as you've probably gathered, so there'll be plenty of opportunity for you to get underground with us.

I look forward to meeting you on a trip sometime soon :)
This universe contains protons, neutrons, electrons and morons.

Hello from Sunny Rhyl 7 years 4 months ago #14215

• WelshSossy
  • Virtual Caver
Thanks for the info Lestyn.

This coming Thursday will be fine Ian. I finish work at 5.30 so that should leave me enough time. What time and where is the meeting point?

Hello from Sunny Rhyl 7 years 4 months ago #14216

• WelshSossy
  • Virtual Caver
Hi Rob, posted at same time so didn't see your post at time of writing. Yes was thinking of getting some overalls for the time being.

UCET certainly look like an active bunch so very excited about what lays ahead. It's a fascinating world beneath our feet so really looking forward to some exciting and challenging trips.

Hello from Sunny Rhyl 7 years 4 months ago #14217

• Sweetie
  • Don't like ladders, ropes, getting wet or the dark!
  • Thank you received: 382
Enjoy Spar Mine! Sorry I won't be able to join you as there is no-way Mrs. Sweetie will let me go caving on Valentines night :angry: but hope to meet you soon. Have a safe trip B)
This universe contains protons, neutrons, electrons and morons.

Hello from Sunny Rhyl 7 years 4 months ago #14224

• mike leahy
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 368
hi tony&family
welcome to the MAD HOUSE . :woohoo: :woohoo:
if you get into this caving lark you can try some rope work, thats when the fun really starts
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds