Someone please help me with some info about these bloody cameras
Got a nikon d3100 no idea how to use it with the different settings blah blah
On the dial on top what does a "p" "s" "a" and "m" stand for
Wtf is aperture
Im guessing shutter speed is exactly what it says haha
Come photies share your knowledge
Aka dan and tim :)
The twister champion
The administrator has disabled public write access.

lesson in camera settings needed 11 years 4 months ago #11282

• Suboffender
  • Thank you received: 83
I'm not touching that with a ten foot pole mate, it's best if you go on a trip with someone and get them to show you the ropes so to speak.

Just switch it to M, aperture to about mid range and adjust the exposure (shutter speed) as necessary, try not to go above ISO 200, unless like a farmer you love grain.

That's the quickest and easiest way whilst learning. There is loads more to it than that, but start small and just play about :)
Last Edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Suboffender.

lesson in camera settings needed 11 years 4 months ago #11285

• NewStuff
  • Yeah, not liking that...
  • Thank you received: 43
Oi!!! what about me? :( :P

Aperture is the iris within the lens (Think circular metal doors in James bond with lot's of leaves/blades), that controls both how much light enters the camera body (And therefore the shutter speed), and also the Depth of Field (How much is in Focus).

It's digital, so stick it in A mode (Aperture Priority), and play with it. In this mode, You set the aperture, and the shutter speed *should* adjust to match... it's a Nikon though (I'm Canon/Sony), so I'm not sure what controls You use to do this.

90% of my shots are done in Aperture Priority.

You could really do with learning how ISO, Aperture and Shutter speed all tie in together. changing one will change at least one other. As Joel says, it's far easier to learn from watching someone.
You want me to go down *there*? On a bloody *rope*?

lesson in camera settings needed 11 years 4 months ago #11286

• Mad-Dan
  • Awesome
  • Thank you received: 168
As joel says, trying to teach someone how to use a camera you've never used your self over the interwebs is never going to happen.

BUT.. if you're taking pictures outside, if you put the camera in A (aperture priority) and set the aperture to the desired level, the camera will set the shutter speed for you automatically.

if you're not sure what to set the aperture at, the lower the number, the faster the shutter speed will be, but this means you will have less depth of field (blurey backgrounds)

a higher number will mean more bits are in focus (stuff closer to you and stuff further away) so for landscapes, you would use say F9 and for someones face F1.7

how ever you set the apeture, if you are using the camera hand held, you dont want a shutter speed and slower than 1/60th, if it is, you can raise the ISO to a higher number, this will keep the picture sharp, but make it grainy

if you are taking pictures underground, you need to shoot in full manual mode, and it will be hit and miss untill you know the camera, but as a rough starting point, in a metal mine, ISO200 - aperture F8 - shutter speed 4 seconds, and dont forget to manual focus (if you can, if not good luck, but speak to seantaylor, he cant manual focus his camera either)

if the picture is to bright, shorten the shutter time, if it blured close by, but is ok in a middle distance from you, up the F8 to say F10, but then you will need to increase the shutter speed a little bit

if it's to dark, light it better or increase the shutter time another couple of seconds..

it really is hit and miss untill you know your camera.

i've taken over 10,000 underground shots with my camera, i still only get 1 in 3 pictures that are useable, but i can get the camera out, get my picture and pack it away again in less than 90 seconds, i HATE waiting for people to take pictures when they are faffing about for like 10 - 15 mins every picture.

lesson in camera settings needed 11 years 4 months ago #11307

• Suboffender
Jesus Tim....

If I had to take a guess I'd say you were on the rig.

Some good stuff in that write up though, nice one

lesson in camera settings needed 11 years 4 months ago #11308

• NewStuff
  • Yeah, not liking that...
  • Thank you received: 43
timwatts wrote:
500mm would be a mega zoom for photographing Joels wadger at 500 yards away after he’s just been wading up the Milwr tunnel for the last hour.

Bwhahahaha... :lol:

Nice post though. I vote for it to be a Sticky...
You want me to go down *there*? On a bloody *rope*?

lesson in camera settings needed 11 years 4 months ago #11309

• Suboffender
NewStuff wrote:
timwatts wrote:
500mm would be a mega zoom for photographing Joels wadger at 500 yards away after he’s just been wading up the Milwr tunnel for the last hour.

Bwhahahaha... :lol:

Nice post though. I vote for it to be a Sticky...

Not sure how I missed that haha. It was rather cold though.

lesson in camera settings needed 11 years 4 months ago #11322

• Deano
  • Thank you received: 4
Cheers for the replies dudes gona have a play before tuesday and see what i can do :)
The twister champion

lesson in camera settings needed 11 years 4 months ago #11331

Gosh Tim! You are learning fast.
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds