Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Smallcleugh Mine, Nenthead

Smallcleugh Mine, Nenthead 6 years 8 months ago #31465

Had a great trip into Smallcleugh Mine with the Nenthead Mines Conservation Trust on Saturday (22 July). It involved a two mile underground circular tour which included the Ballroom Flats, the highlight of any visit to Smallcleugh.
We entered the mine at about 10:30 and after passing the Waterblast Shaft we took the left hand passage, the Hard Cross Cut to the Incline Flats. We then proceeded through the Smallcleugh Flats to the Wheel Flats where there are a set of wheels which gives the Flats it's name. This was followed by a 60 metre crawl through Hetherington's Cross Cut to the First Sun Vein. A passage leads off from the First Sun Vein to the largest chamber in the mine, the Ballroom Flat where the local Masonic Lodge held a meal and a dance in 1901.
After the Ballroom we took a short detour to view the deep Hydraulic Shaft before returning to the First Sun Vein to view some gypsum deposits. We then retraced our steps through Hetherington's Cross Cut and the Wheel Flats before taking the Flatt Cross Cut to the Smallcleugh Cross Vein which eventually took us back to the junction by the Waterblast Shaft with a couple of detours to visit some side chambers.
We returned to daylight at about 16:00 where after getting changed and checking out my haul of photos on my laptop I headed to the Miners Arms for cider.
The Miners Arms was featured in yesterday's edition of Channel 4's "Four In A Bed" which can be seen on their catch up service, All4.

My photos from Saturday can be seen on Google Earth. The first 19 photos were taken on other short trips into the mine followed by the 80 I took on Saturday.

photos.app.goo.gl/wEhw1MuF6tF9pi343

Here is one of the Ballroom Flat.

images52.jpg
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Doug, shananna
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds