Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Ogof Hesp Alyn

Ogof Hesp Alyn 10 years 6 months ago #20506

• timwatts
  • Thank you received: 433
JohnNicholson wrote:
What if it decides to flood after cavers have gone past the sand crawl?

You either

a) Die of hyperthermia
b) Drown
c) Starve

or possibly and most likely a combination of all three which is why OHA is a grade 5 cave and should not be underestimated. Added to that, any attempt at a rescue from its deeper reaches would be very very difficult even in non flood conditions.
-
Tim Watts
Last Edit: 10 years 6 months ago by timwatts.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Ogof Hesp Alyn 10 years 6 months ago #20507

• LesW
  • Thank you received: 225
timwatts wrote:
JohnNicholson wrote:
What if it decides to flood after cavers have gone past the sand crawl?

You either

a) Die of hyperthermia
b) Drown
c) Starve

or possibly and most likely a combination of all three which is why OHA is a grade 5 cave and should not be underestimated. Added to that, any attempt at a rescue from its deeper reaches would be very very difficult even in non flood conditions.

Although you could always exit through the second entrance (if you find it soon...) :whistle:
I'm a very busy person

Ogof Hesp Alyn 10 years 6 months ago #20510

• timwatts
preciexactly! :-D
-
Tim Watts

Ogof Hesp Alyn 10 years 6 months ago #20515

• Frank
  • Thank you received: 21
Tim
I'd still like to get an overlay of the OHA system onto an OS map. I still reckon that by drawing an arc rotating it around using the 'end' of the cave as a scribe will give us an idea where the end might be, ie somewhere on that arc, I'm particularly interested where it would intersect with the river.
Has Mick got one?

Ogof Hesp Alyn 10 years 6 months ago #20517

• mike leahy
  • Thank you received: 666
tim's got one frank

Ogof Hesp Alyn 10 years 6 months ago #20528

• timwatts
got some more elevation data at home somewhere too.

OHAarea.jpg
-
Tim Watts

Ogof Hesp Alyn 10 years 6 months ago #20529

• Frank
Oh yes
That will do for starters
Thanks

Ogof Hesp Alyn 10 years 6 months ago #20530

• Frank
Interesting
If you look at the plan of poachers the end of the cave shows it quite a distance from where it actually is, am I correct?

Ogof Hesp Alyn 10 years 6 months ago #20531

• Frank
I also notice some small squares on the map, is this anything significant? Known sinks for example?

Ogof Hesp Alyn 10 years 6 months ago #20536

Is the river flowing at the moment? And does it ever flow along the river bed near the entrance?

The river bed was looking remarkably vegetation free... :unsure:

Ogof Hesp Alyn 10 years 6 months ago #20537

• DaveT
  • Thank you received: 155
Tim et al,

Have you thought of using a ground transmitter/receiver to locate the aven from the surface. The molephone is a rather sophisticated version on this, but something cruder may suffice. You need a source of low frequency radio waves in the aven - this can be just be a simple 2 transistor multivibrator running at 1khz from a 12v motorcycle battery. You hammer a couple of metal rods about 8-10' apart in the aven and couple them up to the oscillator output and then retire to the surface. a standard 7AH battery should run the oscillator for a few days. On the surface you need a similar pair of probes, a small amplifier and a pair of headphones. You could space the probes about 3' apart using a wooden frame (like the timeteam resistance survey) and then wander around poking it into the ground and listening for the tone. The louder it gets the closer you are. For real sophistication add recfifier and meter to show the signal strength. The electrical field will travel quite long distances in damp ground - what we have now :-( and you should be able to locate within about 10 metres.

There are a few caveats: Ground resistance isn't uniform and so you may get a strong signal from a point not immediately above the aven if there is conduit of conductive damp soil while the surrounds are rock or a specially damp area with the rest dryish soil. But its probably more reliable than smoke testing.

Dave

PS. If you don't have any tame electronics experts I could probably knock something up for you, but I am not sure I would want to brave the sumps to fit it at present :-)

Ogof Hesp Alyn 10 years 6 months ago #20540

• Ant89
  • Thank you received: 243
Frank, blue dots are photos that show on google earth on which the overlay was added to.

Dave, we have somone who works for maplin in our numbers so have somone who can knock one up. (and has offered to do so iirc)

Ogof Hesp Alyn 10 years 6 months ago #20542

• NewStuff
  • Yeah, not liking that...
  • Thank you received: 43
I have indeed started to put together schematics etc. The coils will be the hardest part, Copper isn't cheap. The multivibrator itself is easy enough, as is the power source (I have enough Li-Ion's to light up a cave rave for days). I was going to go for lower frequencies, but we'll see what happens. This is not likely to happen before Xmas though.
You want me to go down *there*? On a bloody *rope*?
The following user(s) said Thank You: mike leahy

Ogof Hesp Alyn 10 years 6 months ago #20559

• timwatts
if you have a look through CREG website i remember theres some PCB templates and component lists and instructions for tried and tested methods for winding coils on there somewhere. Not got time to search just now coz bit hectic at work but have a look and i'm sure you'll find it.

I you want to obtain parts from work and make one up either I or UCET will cover the costs.

bcra.org.uk/creg/
-
Tim Watts

Ogof Hesp Alyn 10 years 6 months ago #20560

• timwatts
yer i think it was on Brians page.... radiolocation.tripod.com/

I'm a subscriber (paid up) for CREG so let me know if u need any past journals - but that said its only £4 or £5 a year to join yourself if you fancy it.
-
Tim Watts

Ogof Hesp Alyn 10 years 6 months ago #20561

• timwatts
ohh and whoever was asking - yes the river regualarly flows on the surface under wetter conditions - when the flow rate via the caves reaches is maximum flow capacity and the sink holes back up until everythings flowing on the surface.
-
Tim Watts
The following user(s) said Thank You: Derbyshire Ross

Ogof Hesp Alyn 10 years 6 months ago #20562

• NewStuff
  • Yeah, not liking that...
  • Thank you received: 43
No need to cover costs, I'm happy to do it, but time will play just as much a factor. I have had a brief look at CREG, and found a few bits. My problem is trying to make a low, *reliable* frequency. The lower it is, the farther it travels, so I want to go as low as is practical.

ECW is way cheaper from ebay, I guesstimate I'll need about 1-1.5KG of 24SWG for both coils. The electronics can probably be made fairly intelligent if needs be, micro-controllers are cheap these days.

EDIT

Will 30M vertically and 70M horizontally Max (for Radiolocation, not comms), be enough for our immediate purposes?

I already have that page, and one it links to, bookmarked. I plan on making, at least to begin with, a "basic 2", operating frequency 1.75Khz.
You want me to go down *there*? On a bloody *rope*?
Last Edit: 10 years 6 months ago by NewStuff.

Ogof Hesp Alyn 10 years 6 months ago #20573

• timwatts
yer - basic 2 was the one i was looking at a while back - got as far as etching a PCB ready for it but god only knows where thats gone now.
-
Tim Watts

Ogof Hesp Alyn 7 years 4 months ago #29815

• mark
  • Thank you received: 1
HI- Can any one tell what in situ ropes are in place to sump one.
Last Edit: 7 years 4 months ago by mark.

Ogof Hesp Alyn 7 years 4 months ago #29816

• madmicks
  • Access Officer
  • Thank you received: 627
i can assure you all I did not put no wire in, I had 10 years of that shit hole before the club got formed
and can anyone put there hand on heart and say murph was our trip,no because I hate the shithole .
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds