Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Log on issues

Re: Log on issues 12 years 2 months ago #4331

• timwatts
  • Thank you received: 433
yes, but the photo viewer is causing other problems behind the scenes.... Server timeouts etc. Theres going to be a bit of a major revamp behind the scenes very soon with some software updates so if people can bear with things for a little while longer then hopefully things should improve while at the same time retain the (all be it slightly different) photo cycler.
-
Tim Watts
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Log on issues 12 years 2 months ago #4335

• Suboffender
  • Thank you received: 83
Alphabetical knowledge bank? :P

Re: Log on issues 12 years 2 months ago #4336

• Ian
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Thank you received: 1439
Suboffender wrote:

If we don't get one soon I am personally willing to engage the enemy and make a "more than" total nuisance of myself. The enemy being the software providers. Frankly, it is SHAMEFUL that they cannot produce something that is nothing less than NEEDED.

:angry: :P :huh:
Currently at rest in the Elephant's graveyard

Re: Log on issues 12 years 2 months ago #4339

• madmicks
  • Access Officer
  • Thank you received: 622
i love it Ian you have a way with words, you posh little sh.. it makes my day from going down the pan if we get into any bother with other cavers, hit them on thr head with your concise and poke them in the eye with your pen and i will do the rest, have a nice day mick

Re: Log on issues 12 years 2 months ago #4340

• Ian
  • NOW ONLINE
madmicks wrote:
i love it Ian you have a way with words, you posh little sh.. it makes my day from going down the pan if we get into any bother with other cavers, hit them on thr head with your concise and poke them in the eye with your pen and i will do the rest, have a nice day mick

Too phunny to respond properly lol

:lol:

Ian

Re: Log on issues 12 years 2 months ago #4343

That's why I use Linux for most of my work. It is safe, easy to use, reliable and free. Unfortunately I have to use Windoze when I convert my PC into a pipe organ, and quite often it crashes after a few days. Linux runs for months. But my next box will be an Apple.

Re: Log on issues 12 years 2 months ago #4359

• JohnO
  • Thank you received: 12
Ian wrote:
Suboffender wrote:

If we don't get one soon I am personally willing to engage the enemy and make a "more than" total nuisance of myself. The enemy being the software providers. Frankly, it is SHAMEFUL that they cannot produce something that is nothing less than NEEDED.

:angry: :P :huh:

You wont get far, these guys very kindly provide the forum for free, you just have to live with it or pay for a commercial version. In the meantime use the search to find what you are looking for.

John.

Re: Log on issues 12 years 2 months ago #4360

• timwatts
John, not entirely true. Its not a case of the commercial one, its a case of waiting for Version 2.0 of Kunena - i've been in touch with the developers, am on the beta test team and the functionality has been implemented and tested. Obviously I'm not prepared to go live on here with a beta version though. Formal release isn't far off.

What is true is that Kunena is developed for free by a group of willing volunteers which gives us little ground to complain. :-/
-
Tim Watts

Re: Log on issues 12 years 2 months ago #4361

Hi Tim.
I'm not sure if your comment above was directed at John O or John N.
For me, I'm delighted to hear that you are supporting Kunena with the development of free software. With this in mind I can put up with a few teething problems to know this is leading to some better free software for social network groups.

Re: Log on issues 12 years 2 months ago #4381

• Ian
  • NOW ONLINE
I have been considering the position with the slow webpage for a few days and I think we do actually need to address it please ...

Personally, It is virtually impossible for me to "log in" from my work computer (using Microsoft SBS software) and I frequently get "cannot display page" from my home computer (which is new and runs all the lastest browser stuff).

I understand Johno's solution of bookmarking but it doesn't help my work computer (which says I am running a long script and may not respond) and it still doesn't work when I click a link in an email saying I have a PM which still takes me to the home page.

As far as the members are concerned I think we could "make do" and we could live with it.

My concern is that first time visitors are (in my humble opinion) likely to be put off by a website that either won't load or takes a long time. Personally, I will click off a site that takes too long or is full of adverts or is unintelligable or undecipherable within 10 seconds. I don't believe I am alone.

Logic suggests that we must have had first time visitors who have struggled and I really think we make an effort to encourage people and not discourage them.

Sorry to be a pain ..... but ..... any chance we can return the website to instant speed until such time as the software designers (volunteers or not) produce something that actually works ?

:(

Ian

Re: Log on issues 12 years 2 months ago #4385

I agree with all that Ian has said above. I have also noticed how long it takes to go straight to a PM - even with JohnO's recommendation. I also agree that new visitors are likely to expect a web site to open up quickly or they give up - I'm the same when 'surfing'. I suggest that a solution may be to have the slide show as a well advertised branch from the index page. I do think the slide show is a brilliant feature of the UCET site, so thanks to everyone who took those amazing pictures. It really does excite a sense of adventure into the unknown that lies there right beneath our feet.

Re: Log on issues 12 years 2 months ago #4392

• timwatts
I think I.ll make the request again. John, please can u remove the photo scroller you put on. we'll find a better one after next updates are made. the one you put on isn't compatiable with the latest joomla versions in any rate. if you can't do it then fear not, i should be back to a real computer in the next couple of days.
-
Tim Watts

Re: Log on issues 12 years 2 months ago #4394

• JohnO
Gone :( I hope you are all now very happy :P

Re: Log on issues 12 years 2 months ago #4395

• Ian
  • NOW ONLINE
Thanks Tim - you're a star ;)

Re: Log on issues 12 years 2 months ago #4399

• timwatts
cheers john, its been causing some issues for a while for some reason. could u do me another favour, could u reenable the random pic loader that was on,originally. same position etc. I've got some updates to do and then we'll sort it between us. :-)

xx
-
Tim Watts

Re: Log on issues 12 years 2 months ago #4401

• JohnO
Personally I would like to leave it as it is for now, to make sure Ian's and JohnN problems all go away, No point introducing another possible problem at this point. There is still the video and a gallery link.

Re: Log on issues 12 years 2 months ago #4410

• Ian
  • NOW ONLINE
Splendid stuff John - seems to load a trillion times faster :)

You are also a star ;)
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds