Cwm Prysor

Distance
7 Miles Approx.

Elevation
Mostly flat with a steep incline of around 100 metre to top out Y Garn

Time
4-5 Hours approx
(Less 30 minutes if you avoid the mine)
(Less 30 minutes if you avoid swimming in the lake)

Parking
Easy parking for several vehicle at SH 784 387 just off the A4212 (Bala to Trawsfynydd Road

Walk Description
An easy to follow walk along a removed railway line that once operated between Trawsfynydd and Bala. The starting point is on the edge of a forest where the old train track “would have” crossed the Main road (A4212). Go over the stile at the gate entrance and keep to the old railway line path. Do not be tempted to follow the forestry path around to the right as it veers off within a couple hundred yards.

Soon you will see the glorious Cwm Prysor viaduct ahead and, before you know it, you will be crossing it. The rails on either side are a little wobbly and I would advise not leaning over.

Just on the other side of the viaduct and just off the path is Arenig Gold Mine. This is a small, forgotten mine that boasts two small levels. Do not enter the mine unless you are experienced and competent. There is evidence of the gold veins that were worked in here with haematite and rouge both visible in ore still in situ. Little speckles of gold adorn these hidden treasures. It is possible to go through the mine and “pop out” on the other side of the path in the woodland. To do so requires a walk into the lower adit which is knee deep in water and also a small scramble internally up to a higher level. A wet crawl will lead you out into the woodland. Annoyingly, on this trip, my camera fell out of my bag as I was scrambling between levels and drowned in the water.

Continuing along the path (the old railway line) you will see wonderful views towards the Rhinogs and on a good day you can glimpse Cader Idris. Arenig Fawr is always behind you watching you walk ...

Soon enough the path swings around a small mountain face – this is Y Garn. For those so minded, there is a hidden Geocache here. I have previously located this cache but could not do so today because I thought I would remember where it was (and I didn’t).

Llyn y Garn is a beautiful and tranquil lake that lays on top of Y Garn and getting to it is no easy matter. The easiest way is to follow the path around the mountain face and then walk up the left flank. As you gain height you need to come across the peak of the mountain (you can skirt the peak) as the lake is beyond. The “going” here is tough and is mostly shin height heather.

Once you have arrived at the lake, make for the southern most tip (there is a wall leading down here). If you like, take a dip in the lake – it is extremely isolated and the likelihood of anyone else appearing is akin to winning Euromillions. When you are ready to go down – follow the wall down at the southern tip of the lake – this is a steep route down with large “scree” to manage. It will take you back to the old railway line path where you can reverse your course back to the car.

There are alternatives on this walk – instead of heading up Y Garn, you can continue to follow the railway path towards Trawsfynydd for a lot longer.

The photos are “cut short” and end in the mine at the point where I dropped it into the water.

Of course, there is a short video here;

The Route

Looking down Cwn Prysor from the start towards Trawsfynydd

The old, removed, railway track – now just a footpath for you and for me

The viaduct as it comes into view

An iron and ochre formation inside Arenig Gold Mine

The route up to the upper level (top right)

Capturing a water shot

A “chunk” of quartz imbued with iron, sulphur and either flakes of gold of spots of iron pyrites (fool’s gold).

(After this I dropped the camera into the water – sorry).
Currently at rest in the Elephant's graveyard
Last Edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Ian.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Cwm Prysor & Arenig Gold Mine 10 years 8 months ago #18943

• timwatts
  • Thank you received: 433
ace - map is a definite YES YES YES - turns it into a story of a journey! :-)
-
Tim Watts

Cwm Prysor & Arenig Gold Mine 10 years 8 months ago #18944

• Mad-Dan
  • Awesome
  • Thank you received: 168
top stuff !!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Manicminer

Cwm Prysor & Arenig Gold Mine 10 years 8 months ago #18947

• Manicminer
  • Thank you received: 5
They were bought out to stop them undermining the railway line when that was in use. The old mill is down by the river upstream of the viaduct. Haven't seen anyone abseiling off the viaduct for a long time, it used to be busy when abseiling off bridges was the 'in' thing.
No idea what you were saying when trying to pronounce the name but it was definitely not Prysor lol

Cwm Prysor & Arenig Gold Mine 10 years 8 months ago #18948

• Ian
  • Thank you received: 1440
Thanks Meirion ... I am afraid I am not very good with the Welsh language :unsure: I doubt anyone would abseil off the bridge now, the railings are very wobbly :blink:

Ian

Cwm Prysor & Arenig Gold Mine 2 years 11 months ago #39345

Been in a couple times over the past year, always through the top entrance (as we actually found that one before the adit!), but can confirm both are still accessible. Yet to do the through-trip as were waiting on getting waders. However, reason for posting is just to update and say that there are some accessible lead workings just a bit further along the old railway hidden in a small gully. One flooded level (was about thigh deep when I went in) with a couple branches off. Outside there's plenty of quartz fragments with copper minerals (sulphides and secondary) in which are nice to look at, and a small mineralised vein in the waterfall. The workings are only short, but together with the Arenig Mine it makes for a good day out!

Cwm Prysor & Arenig Gold Mine 2 years 11 months ago #39348

• Ian
  • Thank you received: 1440
I know ;)
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds